Love Birds: Valentine’s Day Bird Feeders

These Valentine’s Day Bird Feeders are a simple craft and make for a cute little gift!These Valentine's Day Bird Feeders are a simple craft and make for a cute little gift!

I kind of love these.  They are so simple, but so sweet.  I first saw them as a wedding favor idea.  What a great idea, right??  I would love to get something like this at a wedding.  (As a side note, a good friend of mine from college is getting married this summer, and I am now obsessing over wedding details.)

Anyway.  Here’s the recipe:

• 3/4 a cup of flour
  • 1/2 a cup of water
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (2.5 teaspoons)*
  • 3 tbsp corn syrup
  • 4 cups birdseed

Spray a spoon with cooking spray and then mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, a la this

Yummy.

Next, spray the inside of your cookie cutter with cooking spray, and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Fill it with the birdseed mixture.  Be sure to really pack it down.  In retrospect, I wish I would have sprayed another spoon with cooking spray and used the back of it to help pack it down.  It would have made for two smooth sides, instead of one.

Once you have your cookie cutter full, use something (we used a chop stick) to make a hole.  Then, holding down the birdseed, pull off the cookie cutter.  I had to respray the cookie cutter after every four and with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, I made 12 feeders.  I thought this would be something really fun to do with Gavin, but  . . . I was wrong.  It was a messy activity, and they are really fragile when you take off the cookie cutter.  But this would probably be perfect to do with an eight or ten year old.  That being said, Gavin did the chop stick part and really enjoyed it.

Let them firm up over night, and then they are ready to hang or give away.

This was my favorite part.  When I told Gavin I was going to hang one up outside, he told me that he wanted to come with and that we should hang it on Elliot’s tree.

“This is for Elliot, Mom.”  Oh little moose, you melt my heart.  We love you, E.  And we never stop thinking about you.

* In my grocery store, I found this in with all the Jell-o mixes.  Though I spent a good chunk of time looking for it with the canning stuff.

Comments

1. LisaG says

Made these with my two boys, 5 and 6 years old. The boys loved making them and they came out great. Everyone that we handed them out to today raved about how cute they are and asked how to make them. Thank you!

Help, please!!!!! I made 60 of these for favors for a shower this weekend. I hung mine outside. It lasted well on a hot, humid day, however, we rain overnight & my heart fell to the ground. Tried a second heart, same result. Has anyone else had problems like this? Did I do something wrong?
    Dee recently posted…Summer Potluck RecipesMy Profile

Dee, unfortunately, I had the same problem with these. They are super cute, but don’t last through the rain. The good news is that the birds will still enjoy them even if they are a lumpy heart on the ground.

3. Evie says

Just want to thank you for sharing so many wonderful & creative ideas with us.I have tried out some of your recipes this year & have given friends your site so they could also see what a creative and happy young lady you are.Keep up doing all that you are doing. Thanks again :)

4. Jen D. says

HI!
    I made these last night with my 2 kids and their 3 friends all ranging in ages from 2 to 6! They loved it! To make it less messy i had them scoop the mixture into the cookie cutter with a spoon, then cover it with wax paper before pushing it tightly into the cutter! They turned out great! They are so excited to hang them in our trees today! Thanks!

5. Laurie says

Can you use bacon fat instead of gelatin?? And maybe let it sit in freezer for a few hours? I just bought a bag of birdseed and have a jar of bacon fat that was gonna use to make bird feeders with pine ones.

You can give it a try Laurie, but honestly, I would be worried that the bacon fat wouldn’t hold it together, you know? Like wouldn’t make it set. The bacon fat works perfect on pine cones for the sticky factor, but the reason gelatin is used here is because it actually has to set up. I hope that makes sense. If you decide to give it a go anyway, be sure to come back and let us know if it worked! Alternatives are always helpful.

6. Barbara says

Hi! So excited to try this in our class. I help college students and older with disabilities. You said 2.5 tea spoons for the gelatin? I got the unflavored kind but it says each one package is one oz each . Glad I checked instead of using the whole thing for each one!

7. Mandy says

Thanks so much for this recipe!!! I’m makin them for my 8yr olds Valentines Day party at school! Trying to think of what to write on the bag. “Valentines day is for the birds”?

8. Shannon says

Love these.
    Going to make them as part of party favor for a bird themed birthday for my little girl. Any idea how far in advanced I could make them? Was hoping to get them done ahead of time if possible. 2 weeks?

Thanks so much

9. Jeannie says

I read that somewhere these will mold in a couple of weeks if not used right away. Have you found this to be true?

I didn’t have that experience, Jeannie, but I didn’t keep them around terribly long either. You could always try to leave them out instead of putting them in a container. That way they stay dry and don’t trap moisture.

10. Jennifer says

Is there anything I can use instead of gelatin? I have to have gluten free ingrediants in my house. I have gluten free flour and corn syrup.

11. shannon says

I am going to make these for a bridal shower favor. Do you know how long they will last? I wanted to make some on advance

You could make them several weeks in advance. I would leave them out and let them air dry completely. You don’t have to store them away if you don’t want to, but if you do, make sure they are completely dry.

12. Davina Galaway says

I just saw this ! I can’t wait to make them for my son Mayson to share as Valentine’s day gifts. What a great way to feed the birds and to give really cute gifts. Thank you so much .

13. Stacy says

How long do these take to dry? I am looking for a craft to do during my son’s school party and these look like fun and also educational because of measuring. (Pre-K class) We are just limited because it is just a half a day class.

Hi Stacy! These would be really fun for a class project! I think it would be fine if the kids can take them home the next day. I know sometimes they do that in my daughter’s class. They do need overnight to dry.

14. Roberta Lukach says

Hi Lisa HELP I do not know what I am doing wrong mine fell apart could you please what I need and what do I need to spray, was I suppose to spray the parchment, I did the heart cookie cutter. Please I am trying to give as gifts. How do you make them hard Thanks.

Hi Katie! I made these so long ago that I’m not totally sure. It also depends on what size heart cutter you use and how much you fill them (i.e. you could only fill the cookie cutter half way up or you could fill it all the way and both would work).

15. Mary says

For anyone thinking of making these to send in to a school…most bird seed says “may contain peanuts”. Check with your child’s school before considering making them. We’re just going to use them for family :)

16. Missy Vance says

I just made these for my girlfriends as a Valentines’ gift. . Didn’t have a cookie cutter so I improvised and made one out of foil. A little larger, but turned out great. I’m making more to give to clients for Valentines’ Day. (Little smaller ones though) Thank you.

17. Kathy says

I just made these with my 4 year old daughter. I used wax paper for her to press them firmly into the cookie cutters. It worked great! No birdseed stuck to the wax paper, and she really enjoyed ‘”squishing” the birdseed into the heart before poking a hole for the ribbon. We can’t wait for these to dry!
    Also, have you ever tried putting them in the oven on low heat (150-200F) for about an hour or so, to dry them quicker?

18. Toni says

Made these with my fourth graders for their Winter party. They had a blast. It went along great with our Bird adaptation unit. I will also be making them with my son’s kindergarten friends. It should be fun! Thank you.