Sidewalk Chalk Spray

Sidewalk Chalk Spray | A really simple recipe made from household ingredients for loads of fun!
Sidewalk Chalk Spray | www.wineandglue.com | A really simple recipe made from household ingredients for loads of fun!
side walk chalk spray

It all started when I wanted to send my niece and nephew a care package.  They are super adorable, want to see?

They love to color.  They were sitting at my kitchen table, peaceful little that souls they are, making birthday cards for their mom, my wonderful sister-in-law.

And just because I like to brag about my nieces and nephews almost as much as I like bragging about my own kids, look at this one of me and sweet little Mira.

Okay.  On to the spray!  So I wanted to send them a really fun summer care package including chalk spray.  But liquid weighs so much!  So I thought of sending them bottles filled with all the ingredients for chalk spray, sans water.  Most the recipes that I found on line (like all of them) contain cornstarch.  And I realize that this is probably just me, but I could not get the cornstarch to dissolve in the water enough to make it sprayable.  (It seriously is just me, there are oodles of pictures out there in the bloggosphere of kids enjoying the chalk spray that their moms lovingly and accurately put together for them.)

So I decided to come up with my own fool proof recipe.

Flour.  Food coloring.  Warm Water.

That’s it.

I got these great bottles from Target’s cosmetic department for a dollar each.  I put in a tablespoon of flour, 10 drops of food coloring, and about a half cup of warm water.  Shake it up in the bottle and let your kid go nuts.

** Edited to add:  While this washes away from the sidewalk no problem, it is trickier to get off of cars, so keep your little artists away from the vehicles!**

Even better, its super easy to ship off to my cute niece and nephew!

I immediately had to make a batch for Gavin, and have since made about five million more batches, because he looooves it!  How dare I make something for his cousins and not him!  Note to self, hide things or buy double.

No seriously, he has become a little obsessed with the chalk spray.

Comments

Right! Me too . . . it hasn’t rained in like five years here . . . so I’m not totally sure. It’s mainly just kind of fading. You can see where he sprayed (about two weeks ago) but there’s really no color left. The store brand stuff that he painted with the same day is still a florescent mess on my walkway.

This is so much fun. I just gave my kids a spray bottle with water today, and they were entertained forever. I’m sure it would be even more true with these.

Thank you for a simple and fun idea to do with the kids! I don’t know any kid who doesn’t like to spray things or play with chalk! Perfect combo! We are so thrilled to feature you in issue 5 of Bonbon Break, thank you so much for sharing your link with or readers!

Quick question. Does it stain clothes? Food coloring is usually hard to get out so I am just curious if this combination of ingredients is hard to get out of clothes. Thanks!

Ann-Marie, great question. We haven’t had a problem with it so far, and we do use food coloring in a lot of our activities. BUT! I know that it can stain. (It helps that we haven’t had kids spraying it at each other . . . .yet.) It hasn’t stained our white walk way. I will caution that the flour combination is VERY hard to get off cars : /

Neat! We’ve done this, but with cornstarch instead of flour.. we also use it with sponge brushes and shape cut outs, fling it, and soak it in a tennis ball and let it splat!
    Awesome spring/summer activity!!!

Apparently my toddlers went for a world record in trouble making today, as such. It does come out of clothes! Even dried in, all I did was soak the shirt, add a little laundry soap and rub the shirt on itself. It doesn’t stain skin either! Wet washcloth took care of that. If your little ones decide your car can be a sponser for the Color Me Rad Race, wet a papertowel, add dish liquid and start scrubbing. Rinse vigorously with the hose until you see no bubbles. Even my black truck didn’t have any left over residue. Aside from all that, this stuff is awesome! It works great with a paint brush on construction paper for rainy day fun as well.