World’s Best Caramel Brownies {aka Crack Brownies}

These World’s Best Caramel Brownies are SUPER EASY to make and everyone ALWAYS asks for the recipe! Addictive!
These World's Best Caramel Brownies are SUPER EASY to make and everyone ALWAYS asks for the recipe! Addictive!

Last week I guest posted at SaltTree and shared these amazing brownies.  But in case you were trying to sheild your eyes from the caramel awesomeness missed it . . .
When I was about six months pregnant with our third little wonder, a good friend of mine shared this recipe with me.  {Like my very pregnant self needed another method to get chocolate into my body.}  These are insanely good.  I have made them a dozen times, and without fail whenever I make them for someone, they ask for the recipe.  I cautiously give it to them, reminding them that I call them Crack Brownies for a reason.  You start off eating just a little piece, and then you casually think you’ll just slice off a little snibit more.  Okay, maybe just a tiny bit more.  I mean, why not have another piece.  Before you know it, you have eaten a whole row of the brownies!

Proceed with caution people.

You start by melting some caramel with evaporated milk.

As you test to make sure that it is the right . . . ummm . . . consistency . . . refrain from eating the entire pot with a spoon.

Now combine dry German chocolate cake mix, melted butter, evaporated milk, and vanilla.  Your batter won’t have the consistency of typical brownie batter.  It’s a little more like dough.

Divide the batter in half and spread half of it into a greased 9 by 13 baking pan.

The layer will be very thin, but that’s cool, the best is yet to come.

Bake for 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Wipe up your drool.  You aren’t done baking.

Once the first layer is baked, add the caramel evenly.

Sprinkle on the chocolate chips.

Then glob on the other half of the batter.

Put it back in the oven for about 18 more minutes.

When it comes out . . . here is where you need to be really careful.  Just go ahead and admire it’s beauty.  Don’t cut into it!  Hand it off to someone you love.  Because once you cut into it, there really is no going back.

And there you have it.  Crack Brownies.

Actually, these pictures come from my second time making these brownies in July.  Typically when I do a blog post, I really am making something for a purpose.  Gift, family dinner, party I’m attending, etc.  These were originally made for my Fourth of July party, but they got eaten before I could get any good pictures of them!  So I made them again.  With no purpose.  Dangerous.  I finally sent about half the pan home with a friend who stopped by telling her that I needed to get them out of my home before I ate the rest.  Crack. Brownies.

World’s Best Caramel Brownies {aka Crack Brownies}

• 14 ounces of caramels {if you only find a 1 lb package, you really do need to take out 2 ounces, this is not one of those times in life when more caramel is better}
  • 1/2 a cup and 1/3 a cup of evaporated milk, divided
  • 1 box German chocolate cake mix
  • 3/4 a cup of melted butter (a stick and a half)
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 cup of chocolate chips

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Take the plastic off all of the caramels and put them in a small saucepan with 1/2 a cup of evaporated milk over medium heat. Heat until the the caramels are completely melted and the sauce is smooth, being careful to stir frequently.
  3. While the caramels are melting, mix together the dry German chocolate cake mix, 1/3 a cup of evaporated milk, the melted butter, and the vanilla. Mix until it is a smooth consistency.
  4. Divide the batter in half and spread half evenly into a greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
  5. After 8 minutes pull the brownies out, and top with the caramel sauce (spreading it very gently to make an even layer), sprinkle with chocolate chips, and then glob on the second half of the batter.
  6. Put it back in the oven for 18 minutes.
  7. Enjoy the deliciousness, but be careful.

This post contains affiliate links, thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.

Comments

Hi! I did miss it last week, but luckily I’m stopping by from Crazy for Crust and discovered you – thank goodness – these look amazing – YUM! Can’t wait to try these!! I hope you’ll come visit me at jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

Oooohhh! These look out of this world good. I KNOW I’d end up eating 3/4 of the pan all on my own. I’m ok with that. 🙂 I just kicked off my first link party and would be thrilled to have you join in. And if you want to send me some of these that would be cool too!

These are the best! I’ve had this recipe for several years, they’re my go to when I’m asked to bring a desert and I am profusely thanked every single time I bring them:-) By the way, you can melt the caramels with the evaporated milk in the microwave for about 4 minutes.

4. Wendy says

Really…like I needed another excuse to create turtle ANYTHING. These look amazing. I’ve been making twisted brownies (equally as easy – think brownie mix, cookie dough and caramel) and that has been a primary request from my hockey-playing almost step-son and his team (19-21 yr olds). BUT…they’ll be in town in two weeks for some games and I always have to send treats back with them – I think these will be perfect for that long busride!

5. Nanda says

Hi, I wonder if I would be able to use dulce de leche instead of making the caramel sauce? Would the consistency work? Have you tried it this way? How much should I use? Thanks!

Nanda, I’m not sure. It’s been a good while since I’ve baked with Dulce de Leche, and my memory is that it’s a lot thicker than the sauce used here. Though I don’t necessarily think that will be a problem. If you give it a try, let me know how it works!

6. Randa says

How did you know they were done? Are you supposed to have them sit for a while before eating them? I just made them and they look and smell amazing.

7. Sezzy says

If using a normal chocolate cake would you follow the box guidelines for making the cake , or ignore and add the evaporated milk , butter and vanilla , sorry new at this .x

I haven’t tried it with regular chocolate cake, but yeah, just use the mix, ignoring the instructions on the back. Let me know how it turns out! I’m curious to see how it works with just regular cake mix.

8. Daphne Ennor says

Hi from Australia. I see you have said that other cake mixes can be used but just for interest what is German chocolate cake mix like? What makes it different from a normal chocolate cake mix? I don’t normally use packet cake mixes but it sounds like a yummy easy recipe. Thanks

Okay. You are going to laugh at me. I have never actually used German Chocolate Cake Mix to make a cake! :O I’ve only used it in these brownies. I’m going to have to give this recipe a go with regular chocolate cake mix to see how it turns out!

Hi want so much to try these but I can’t get German box cake mix, is English brownie box mix as good an better than regular box cake mix.

Hi Sue! Ugh. You aren’t the first person with this problem. I should really try to make it with regular chocolate cake mix and see how it turns out. I don’t think that the brownie mix will work, though if you give it a try please let me know how it goes! I’ve certainly been known to take kitchen risks myself 🙂

10. Lindsey Nielsen says

What kind of chocolate chips is best? I’m feelin’ semi-sweet, just because I don’t want overload my guests with *too* much sweet, but I could be wrong… Thoughts?

11. CJS says

Funny thing – I’ve been making these EXACT brownies for 30+ years!!!!! They are indeed the best – I always get requests to make them.

1. […] I have a confession . . . . these were supposed to be bars. Ooops! I was basing these off my World’s Best Caramel Brownies that I made again recently. When I was making them, I was thinking how awesome they would be if I […]