Oh Meatless Mondays! How I've missed you so! I've been so consumed with rainbows and going back to school, that I've neglected doing MM posts!
Well, this week I'm back with a bang. Eggplant Risotto (courtesy of the latest Rachel Ray) and Grilled Cesar "Salad" (courtesy of my addiction to pursing a million food magazines and foodie blogs). I made this dish for lunch while the kids were "napping." (Truth be told, Gavin is waaaaay too old for naps, but he cooperates with a short rest time each afternoon while Quinn usually naps and sometimes practices jumping up and down in her crib and giggling.) I was in mommy heaven. It was so delicious, and something probably only I in a house of picky eaters would enjoy. I even got to put onions in my risotto!!
While you preheat your grill, you want to slice your eggplant in half, give it some hash marks, spray it with a little olive oil, and salt and pepper it.
Then throw that bad boy on the grill for about twenty minutes.
While it's grilling, warm up some vegetable stock, chop your onion, and get your risotto going. Take it off the grill when it's all nice and soft.
Stand back and admire it's awesomenss. I love eggplant. I have to resist the urge to not throw it in everything I make. And, it's eggplant season! I got this beauty for a dollar. And as we all know, that's pretty much the same thing as free.
Scoop out the insides and toss it in a food processor.
Once the risotto is done, stir in the eggplant goodness.
With the grill still hot, throw on a romaine heart. I know what you're thinking . . . . "Hot lettuce?!?!?! Sick." Wrong! It is SO tasty!!
As I was saying . . . spray the head of lettuce with some oil, and toss it on the hot grill. Rotate it every few minutes, until it's all toasty and good.
Then throw on some Cesar dressing. I like this one, because it doesn't have dairy in it, or calories, but it's super delicious.
Seriously so good! And if you are sharing this meal, grill up two hearts, cut up two heads, and serve it as a big more . . . normalish . . . salad.
Eggplant Risotto & Grilled Cesar Salad
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in half
- 2 TBSPs olive oil, plus more to spray the eggplant and romaine
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- sliced basil for topping
- romaine heart
- Preheat grill to medium, spray the eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook on grill until tender, approximately twenty minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, warm up the vegetable broth.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, and add the onion and garlic until they are softened, approximately five minutes.
- Add the risotto, and toast lightly, then add the wine. When the wine is absorbed, slowly add the broth, 1/2 a cup at a time, until the risotto is tender.
- When the eggplant is done, scoop out the insides and put it into a blender or a food processor with a pinch of nutmeg. Puree until smooth and then stir in to the risotto.
- Spray a head of romaine lettuce with olive oil and grill over medium heat rotating every few minutes, until the lettuce is wilted and has grill marks.
- Add cesar dressing and enjoy!