Homemade Lego Costume

An Easy Homemade Lego Costume!

This costume is so ridiculously cheap and simple, that I must admit I am a little ashamed to post it on my blog.  But . . . I’m a wannabe crafty mom, so it’s okay, right?

Much to Nathan’s delight, Gavin has fallen deeply in love with legos.

In fact, this love may or may not have awakened Nathan’s inner eight year old, leaving him on the living room floor surrounded by tubs of dumped out legos recreating fortresses and castles . . . . for an entire Saturday.

So when I saw a picture of a red lego (RED!!) costume on Pinterest, I asked Gavin if he wanted to be a Lego for Halloween, and much to my shocked delight, he said YES!  (Gavin has a long standing history of having to be gently coaxed into wearing Halloween costumes.  Last year he reluctantly decided to be a camel.  Thank goodness for Nativity Plays and Amazon.)

Better yet, this is simple and cheap!!  Start by cutting two armholes and a head hole in a Gavin sized box box that will fit your kiddo.

Look how excited he is from the get go!

Next, glue on something round and peg-like.  These containers that I got from the dollar store for the raindough worked perfect!

Try it on your kid to make sure they are actually into it before you invest in some red spray paint.

{My kids really won the genetic lottery.  I know I’m biased.  But seriously, they are so cute.}

And . . . . let’s call this a win for Mommy!  He loves it!!

Comments

This is my first attempt at homemade costumes, but given the price difference, it is going to be the way to go every year!! That . . . and the smiles : )

This turned out so cute, and I adore the name of your blog! So fun! My middle two sons’ school’s theme this year is Lego-related, so I’m thinking we could find some purpose for this costume besides Halloween. Thanks for sharing!

Fabulous, he clearly loves it! Whenever we have kids, they had better absolutely love Legos or both my husband and my dad are going to be super disappointed. Dad’s just waiting at this point to bust out all our childhood toys again and have an excuse to play with Legos and Lincoln Logs. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this at The Fun In Functional!

Lisa,
    Your talent with costumes is amazing! I wish I had thought of this when my son was into legos. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

4. Christina says

I LOVE this costume and am planning to make it! How much time did it take from start to finish? My husband is concerned that this is one of those “looks easy, but is actually really hard” projects and will be more than what I bargained for in wanting to make this for my son.

Also, did you happen to spray paint the box white first, so as to get a “true” red color or did you have to spray paint the box with more than one coat of red to get it that color?

Thanks, in advance!

Christina, so funny you ask, I was just lamenting to my husband last night that I wish we could find a costume for our little guy this year that was as easy as the lego costume last year! Lol! I don’t know the timing start to finish, especially because I did need to do more than one coats of paint, but the cutting, gluing on of the pieces and painting the first coat of red was probably an hour. I didn’t spray it white first, I think I did two or maybe three at the most coats of red. If you use hot glue to put on the pieces, you should be able to spray the first coat pretty quickly after you glue them on.