Biscoff Butterscotch Apple Pie {with Sugar Cookie Crust}

Perhaps this should be named the Better Late Than Never Pie?

See . . . . I made this pie for Pi Day.  More specifically for Dorothy’s Pi Day Party.

Pi Day Pie Party

Which . . . is today.
Ahem.
So.  Let’s skip with the cute/funny/sortta funny?/scary/terrifying parenting stories.
Let’s talk pie.
You start with a tube of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough.  Then you mash it into the pie plate.  You don’t  eat any of the dough.  I know.  It goes against everything I believe in.  But the people at Pillsbury tell you not to eat it, and you need every last scrap of dough.
Bake the crust for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  It’s not going to firm up nicely like a crust, and honestly, it doesn’t matter.
Then cut up some granny smith apples, specifically 8.
Next, and really, if there was a Nobel prize for baking, I’m pretty sure that I would win it for this, pour some biscoff butterscotch ganache over the apples.  Yup, you read that right.
Now.  At this point, you could just start eating apples and ganache and wash it down with a course of partially baked sugar cookie crust.  And no one would judge you.
But, if you want pie, top it with some streusel and throw it in the oven for thirty minutes.
Bask in the glory that is the sugar cookie crust.
Watch out though.  Tiny little hands will try to get in on the sugary goodness.
Biscoff Butterscotch Apple Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust
  • Biscoff Butterscotch Ganache (recipe below)
  • 16.5 oz of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough
  • 8 granny smith apples peeled and sliced
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 cup of quick oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Smoosh the cookie dough into the pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.  When you pull it out, it will be ooey gooey.  Don’t just take a spoon to it.  But!  Use the back of a spoon to pull up some of the dough on the edges of the pan.
  2. Pour in the apples, and then pour the ganache on top.
  3. Combine the butter, oats, and brown sugar with a fork.  Top the pie with it.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes.  If you would like to serve your pie steaming hot, go ahead and cut in, but it will be liquidy deliciousness.  If you would like a more solid pie, refrigerate overnight.
Biscoff Butterscotch Ganache
  • 1/3 cup Biscoff Spread or Cookie Butter (either is fine)
  • 2/3 cup butterscotch morsels
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  1. Bring the heavy cream to a boil over medium low heat, stirring constantly.
  2. In a separate bowl, have the Biscoff and butterscotch chips.
  3. Pour the boiling heavy cream over the Biscoff and butterscotch.  Mix gently with a spoon.  Once it is smooth, mix it with a whisk, until the chips are completely dissolved and there are no more little lumps.
  4. Refrigerate until it thickens, between two and four hours.

Comments

OMG. How much fun would it be if we really were neighbors??? You would probably get a teeeensie bit tired of me knocking on your door at 6 am with blogging questions though 🙂

Today is the coldest first day of spring on record. I think I need California as bad as it needs me!! But knowing my luck, you would be on a plane to NYC as I unloaded my Uhaul 🙂

I have GOT to show this pie to my roomate, she absolutely LOVES Biscoff so I can’t even imagine how excited and thankful she will be for this. For you! Your genius culinary mind. Thanks dear 🙂 Great recipe!

Okay. But don’t leave her alone with the pie if you want some. I actually had to send the rest away because I kept eating it straight from the pie plate with a fork!! 🙂

2. Jenn says

I tried making this today and although it looks delicious it doesn’t come together well. The crust swelled so much and then when filled and baked it becomes a gooey squishy mess! I have had it in the fridge for about 3 hours now with no signs of it setting up. I am loosing hope.

Jenn, I’m so sorry the pie hasn’t turned out for you! Since I’m not there with you, it’s hard for me to say exactly what went wrong. Before cutting into mine, I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Also, the ganache definitely needs to set before being used in the pie. Ovens are all different, so it’s certainly possible that that played a roll. I hope your pie set up!

Joann, I haven’t worked with caramel pieces to make a ganache before, so I don’t know. I wouldn’t be concerned about the taste, it would be delicious, but I would be concerned about how it would melt and set.

3. Deb says

Lisa, this might be a dumb question, but after the crust has partially baked you noted to use the back of a spoon to lift off some of the crust from the pan. Was this just for a pre-baked pie morsel of enjoyment to satisfy the crazy sense of wanting to devour this before it is finished or was there a purpose? Like to keep it from bubbling or something? lol I am getting ready to make this and can not wait to try it!! Thanks!

Hahaha! Not a dumb question at all Deb. The sugar cookie crust is going to melt during the baking process and want to fall down and just pool in the bottom of the pie pan. So after I took it out of the oven, I pulled on the crust a little to get it back in place before adding the rest of the ingredients. Good luck. It’s a gooey non traditional pie, but totally delicious.

• Deb says

Oh ok! lol I wasn’t sure if you were trying to say to just sneak a bite or if there was a purpose, and obviously there is! Well, here we go! ganache is set and we are ready get started!

4. Tina says

I would not boil the cream. heat in microwave safe bowl or 2cup measuring cup. pour over butterscotch chips and cookie spread. let set for 5 min. Then stir smooth….Voila! ganache!