Cake Batter Cheesecake

Cake Batter Cheesecake | Almost as good as licking the beaters!Cake Batter Cheesecake | | Almost as good as licking the beaters!
I have a problem.  Should we call it an addiction?  No.  No, never mind.  Not an addiction   Because then we would be talking 12 step programs.  And I’m really just not ready to sit in a room with strangers and talk about this.

I’d much rather talk about it with you.

Cake batter.

It’s like a four letter word for me.  I mean, I’m not a fool.  I get that it is actually two words.  And while one of them happens to be four letters, the other does not.

Cake batter.

It all started at the end of my pregnancy with Gavin.  Life felt stressful.  Like super stressful.  And how did I handle this stress?  I baked.  I was at risk for developing gestational diabetes, so I was being mindful of my sugar intake.  But I somehow managed to convince myself that if I nibbled on ingredients while baking, it didn’t count.

Say what now?

Yeah, you heard me.

Cake Batter Cheesecake | | Almost as good as licking the beaters!

Really everyone knows that a lick of frosting off a beater does not count towards your calorie intake for the day.  It’s only when you eat it a top of a cupcake that you need to think about how many calories, saturated grams of fat, and blah blah blah it contains.

It’s true!

Oh my goodness!  It is an addiction!  Do you hear me trying to talk myself into this behavior.

Oh boy.

We’re in deep people.

Really though.  I’ve never met a cookie dough that didn’t want me to eat it, or a spoon of cake batter that I wouldn’t lick.  If it’s uncooked and contains sugar, it has my name written all over it.

And I’m not alone either.

All over Pinterest you can see recipes of “cookie dough flavored this” and “cake batter flavored that.”

Well, I have another to add to the collection.

Cake Batter Cheesecake.

It’s soooooo good.  And strangely, it gets better after like a day.  And if you eat it straight out of the pan with a fork while standing in front of the refrigerator at 9 p.m. it tastes AMAZING.

Okay.  I have a problem.  Admitting it is the first step.  Right?

Cake Batter Cheesecake | | Almost as good as licking the beaters!

Cake Batter Cheesecake

• 3 8 oz containers of cream cheese, at room temperature (see note)
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 TBSPs vanilla
  • 2 tsps almond extract**
  • 1/2 cup of rainbow sprinkles

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. With your mixer on low and with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese until smooth. Then beat in the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Finally, beat in the eggs. Continue mixing until you can no longer see the yolks and the eggs are fully incorporated. The batter may have a few lumps left at the end, but that's okay.
  3. Slowly mix in all the sprinkles with a spoon.
  4. Pour the batter into a 9 inch spring form pan and bake for 40 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake sit for an additional half hour.
  5. Remove from the oven and at least four hours in the refrigerator.

It is really important that the cream cheese is completely at room temperature. I leave my cream cheese out for several hours to accomplish this. If your bricks aren't room temperature, they won't be able to smooth out. Additionally, make sure that you are using brand name cream cheese and it is full fat. I've made the mistake of using off brand and the results aren't good.

**I have received two comments that the recipe tastes too strongly of almond extract. I really love almond extract and think that it is very reminiscent of cake batter, so for me it really works in this recipe. If you don't like almond extract, you will want to reduce the amount in this recipe.

You might also like

Birthday Cake Barkbirthday_cake_bark

Cheesecake Cake Batter Dipcake_batter_dip

Cake Batter Pudding Pops

Cookies and Cream Cake Batter Krispie Treatscookies_and_cream_cake_batter_krispie_treats

No Bake Funfetti Cheesecake Cupsno_bake_funfetti_cheesecake

This post contains affiliate links, thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.

I just packed up a closet for the move which included my springform pans. It’s been THREE YEARS since I’ve baked a cheesecake and it’s one of my favorite things to make!! It will be one of the inagural things made in my new open space. And now thanks to you, I can make it cake batter cheesecake and impress my three boys 🙂

Oh this is amazing! My “Obsession” is Chicken, Bacon, Ranch. As in my sister-in-law ripped on me when I ordered it in a restaurant this weekend. Pathetic that she knows it just from reading my blog 🙂

Like I said on Instagram- I need this… Now. 😉

I think I should make my Happy Birthday Cake Batter Ice Cream & you should make this & we should get together & eat them, lol!

Newest follower here, I found your blog through the blog hop! You have a wonderful blog, I can’t wait to read more.

You can find me at

Haha! Yes, everyone knows there are no calories if you eat while baking/cooking or if you eat standing up. So, you’re alllll good! Love this, Lisa! I’m featuring you tonight at the Back for Seconds Social! Congrats 🙂

love your blog! just found you from pinterest and you described my life to a T! Hot glue and vino with something baking in the oven, all while tripping over the little people running circles around me! xo

I’m confused….so it doesn’t USE any cake batter in the recipe? It just tastes like cake batter? I keep looking where to add the cake batter LOL

• ashley says

I wanted to fall in love with this so bad BC its so easy but even though its only been im the fridge for a little over 2 hours I was dying to try before bed.

the cream cheese sunk to the bottom so there’s a top layer of the egg, condensed milk, vanilla, and almond; then there’s a layer of cream cheese and sprinkles.

should I have blended longer?

Ashley, since I read your comment last night, I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what went wrong. In all the cheesecakes I’ve made, nothing like this has ever happened. Here are a few thoughts: the cream cheese HAS to be room temperature. I like to leave mine out for at least two hours, but usually more. It also has to be FULL fat, and brand name. I’ve tried cheesecake with off brand block cream cheese, and the results are never as good. Also, the eggs have to be room temperature, and you need to add them last. The cream cheese needs to be blended (preferably with the paddle of a stand mixer) until completely smooth.

I’m so sorry that this didn’t work out for you. Honestly, this is a recipe that I have tested and really really love.

• ashley says

I didnt leave the cream cheese out long enough!! I will try again next week, I have a cream cheese coupon! 🙂

Hooray! I’m so happy I could help you figure out what went wrong, Ashley! The other thing is, when you do add the eggs, make sure that you continue to beat them in until you can no longer see the yellows of the yolk. I updated the recipe and added a few notes. Thanks for your help in making this a more clear recipe! 🙂

okay i too was completly rereading and rereading looking for when i add the cake mix in lol so i guess there is no cake mix in it getting ready to make right now thanx

8. Erin says

Hi Lisa,

This looks delicious! The only issue is that I’m allergic to nuts, including almonds. What can I substitute for the almond extract? Or is that key to the cake batter taste?

Hello. What is the pink stuff drizzled on top? Also, when I shut the oven off and leave the cheesecake in for half an hour, do I open the oven door? Thanks.

Hi Jeanie! The pink stuff is just royal icing (powdered sugar and milk). As you can probably tell, I recently remade this and reshot the pictures and thought the icing was overkill so I left it out of the new version. I leave the oven door closed, but it will taste super delicious either way 🙂

I have this cooling in the fridge right now! I’m a little disappointed with how badly it cracked. I later read in the comments that it would be a good idea to leave the oven door open, but I read that too late. I tried the batter before putting it in the oven and next time I wont use as much almond extract. But, needless to say, I can’t wait until it’s done cooling!

11. mark says

Also before you put it in the fridge you really should let it cool at room temp before you put it in the cold fridge. Or your cheesecake will sweat. And no one likes a sticky sweaty cheesecake.

I just tried this today and was very disappointed with the way mine turned out. I followed the directions exactly but mine became slightly browned and was relatively dry after I refrigerated it for about 4 hours.
    I think it would be a great note to not bake your cake to the point where it browns. If possible, adjust the baking time from 40 to 30 minutes and remove the cake promptly after 10 minutes of sitting in the oven.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with being at over 5280 elevation.

With that being said, I shall try this again and let you know how it turns out.

Raiza, I’m so sorry that you had a bad experience with this recipe! Leaving the cheesecake in the oven after the baking time helps prevent it from cracking, and in my experience leaves you with a throughly cooked, smooth cheesecake. The high altitude could for sure have to do with it. I have absolutely no experience with that, so I just did a really quick google search, and immediately found that anything over 3,500 feet will change recipes. It seems like adjustments need to be made related to cooking time, oven temperature, and even ratio of liquids. Again, I’m so sorry that this didn’t work out for you!

13. Eddie says

Planning to make this for my wife for her bday. I noticed there isn’t a crust and it has me wondering how I could sub the traditional crust for a thin layer of actual cake on the bottom/sides. Hollow out a cake layer and drop the cheesecake in?

Eddie, I’m not sure how well it work to drop this cheesecake into anything. You might want to look for a cheesecake recipe that already has a cake layer built into the recipe. Or, you could just make a crust for this recipe, birthday cake oreos would be great. I love this cheesecake without a crust, because it’s so rich.

14. Nita Harrison says

What size springfoam pan do I use, also how long do i leave out to cool before putting in Frig. How far in advance can u make this for a party?

Nita, it’s a 9 inch pan. There is a link to the one I use in the recipe. I have moved mine straight from the turned off oven to the fridge, but yes, that does create some sweating. To prevent that, I would leave it on the counter 15 to 30 minutes. I think you could make this maybe two days ahead. After that it will still be okay, but just won’t be quite as good.

I will be honest, Sally. I’m a really lazy baker. I know lots and lots of bakers who feel strongly about using a water bath and others who don’t bother. I don’t bother. It is used to keep the cheesecake from cracking, and honestly I couldn’t care less if my cheesecake has a crack. I’ve eaten plenty a delicious cheesecake with a crack in it 🙂

15. Leslee says

I am making this as we speak! I am very excited because I have one recipe that I usually tweak the flavours. And your recipe is very close to mine 🙂 In the past when I have tried different recipes they usually don’t turn out how I like, I am my worst critic! But I know that this is going to be a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

16. sven Ulrich says

Hi Lisa,

this cake really looks very yummy. I have just one question: In the Picture the cake shows a lot
    of colour.
    In your instructions it doesn’t say, where or when to put the
    sprinkles in.
    Could you help me or am I a lazy reader?

Thanks and best wish
    Sven (from europe via pinterest)

17. Emily says

My boyfriend has asked me to make a cake batter cheesecake for his birthday tomorrow, and after googling, this is the only recipe I can find that is not no-bake, but he’s told me he has a tree-nut allergy. Do I avoid the almond extract? And if so, what to substitute it with? And I’m also wondering about the lack of crust, I’ve never made a cheesecake before and I’d like it to have a crust but I am unsure what would compliment this best, as far as standard graham cracker crust or some other type of cookie.

• Emily says

Thanks Lisa! I made it this morning and it is cooling in the fridge right now! I can’t wait to try it, it smelled amazing while it was baking. I went with the golden birthday cake Oreos (though I suppose the chocolate ones would taste great as well). It took some experimenting before I got the right amount of Oreo for the crust. I used two full rows of a package, 20 individual cookies. I left the filling in to help enhance the cake flavor of the cheesecake. Hopefully it turns out nice!

18. Kim says

I made this last year and was awesome! However last time I made it I did the pink drizzle topping. I believe I got the instructions from this recipe but I can’t seem to find it now. I’m certain I did not come up with it on my own… I am a follow the recipe exactly fine of person and not a good baker lol. I may be wrong but any help is much appreciated!!Thanks

Hi Kim! You are totally right, that was this recipe with the pink drizzle! I updated the recipe and the photos in July (2014), and decided to nix the pink drizzle because I wanted to put the sprinkles and cherry on top instead 🙂 I’m so glad that you enjoyed it!

19. Jerrickia Mcbee says

Cake Batter flavored anything is heaven to my hubby! I have prepared this with a light sugar cookie crust, as a surprise for his birthday tomorrow! Every year he wants a cheesecake but I am sure this will be the best one that I have ever made!
    I am so excited to have some too! Thanks for sharing this!!

20. jennie says

Hi I’m attempting to make this but just realized it called for that type of pan and I don’t have one! Anyway I can use a pie dish??

Jennie, I can’t say for sure because I’ve never made a cheesecake in a pie pan, only a spring form pan. I would be sure to put a baking sheet under the pie plate in case it over flows. Let me know how it goes!

21. Melody U. says

I am a cheesecake fanatic. Enough so that I spent several months perfecting my cheesecake so that it wasn’t dried out (as way too many are), so I didn’t have to use a hot water bath (not necessary) and just the right creaminess and texture. So when my dil sent me this link and asked if I’d make it for her birthday, I cringed.

I did make a few changes. I took storebought cookies and ground them up, then used 2 cups of the ground cookies and 3-4 Tbs of melted butter to hold them together. Then sprayed my 9″ springform with cooking spray before pressing (lightly) the cookies in the bottom of the pan. Baked it at 350 deg for 12 minutes. Then turned the oven down to 275 while the crust was cooling.

After pouring the batter into the pan, I baked it at 275 deg F for 1 hr, then turned off the oven and let it sit for another 40 minutes. I took it out and cooled it on a rack for 10 minutes before running a sharp knife around the sides to loosen it. Then I cooled for 3 hours (to room temp) before putting it in the fridge for 8 hours.

Using this method, there’s no cracking of the top *and* the top does not get brown. If you have any brown on the top at all, the cheesecake is overcooked and this effects the texture.

Surprisingly, it does taste like ‘cake’, but it does not taste like cheesecake…so I’m not a fan. However, my dil loves it so it has been added to my keeper book. On a side note, since it does ‘taste’ like cake, I’ll bet you could use toasted coconut, pecans and german chocolate to make a German Chocolate version of this. My son says I have to try.

One of the things I love about the culinary arts is that like most art, it is subjective. Even though my method for baking cheesecakes is not like yours, I’ve had really good luck with it and have made cheesecakes that I and others love. I’m glad that your daughter in law liked it!

Hi Kalon! Without being there in the kitchen with you, it’s hard to know what went wrong. I’m wondering if it was in the oven too long or if your oven temperature isn’t quite right. Sorry it didn’t work out for you!

22. Meredith says

Wow… I am sorely disappointed =( I made this last night & left it in the fridge for dessert tonight. I was sooooo looking forward to trying it all day long! I looooove cheesecake! But…. It just tastes like straight almond extract =( I used 2 tsp just like the recipe calls for & yeah… Unfortunately, it’s all going in the trash. Maybe it would be better w/ just 1 tsp almond extract or maybe even 1/2 tsp?

Meredith, I’m so sorry to hear this. My least favorite part about blogging is having someone try one of my recipes and not enjoy them. I really love the taste of almond extract and think it is so reminiscent of cake batter that for me it really works in this recipe. I will update the recipe to reflect your thoughts.

I haven’t tried, Gina, but I’m sure they could be. Obviously the baking time would need to be adjusted 🙂 If you give it a go let me know how they turn out?

23. Brytani says

I tried making this and I’m not sure what I did wrong but it just tasted awful. I followed the recipe exactly. It didn’t even come out the same consistency as cheesecake. It maybe? tasted like normal cake. It wasn’t sweet at all. It wasn’t that moist. It was just. Not good 🙁 what went wrong?! I was so excited!

Brytani, honestly, I’m totally baffled by this comment. I’ve had people complain about the texture and it’s usually a result of them not leaving the cream cheese out long enough and so it doesn’t blend well. I’ve had people complain about the taste, and it’s usually because they don’t like almond extract (so I noted that in the recipe). I’ve never had anyone say it isn’t sweet enough . . . . the only thing that I can think of is that maybe you used evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk. It would be a really easy mistake to make, something the most experienced baker could mistakenly do . . . the cans are sold right next to each other . . . but it would drastically change the outcome of this recipe. I’m sorry you had a bad experience with it!

24. Johanna says

I tried the cake yesterday.
    It tastes like cheesecake but it wasn´t really special.
    And my sprinkles lost the colour when I mixed them in.
    I will try this receipe again with other sprinkles.

Hi Johanna. I can’t decide if you hated the cheesecake or really liked it. On the one hand, not special, on the other, you plan on making it again . . . Either way, I love this cheesecake. It doesn’t move mountains, but sticks a smile on my face. 🙂

25. LisasKitchen says

Question. Asap please. Lol I just came across this. I want to make it asap. I’ve never made cheesecake. Do I water bath this? Also, when I take it out of oven, do I use a butter knife to go around it and break loose the edges, and do I wrap it in anything before it goes in fridge? One more thing, does the sprinkles bleed into batter?

I never use a water bath on my cheesecakes. Doing so prevents cracking, and I would rather just be lazy and eat a cheesecake with cracks in it. Yes, using a knife around the edges will help loosen. Let it cool on the counter and then cover the springform pan with saran wrap or aluminum foil. My sprinkles did not bleed.

26. Megan says

Hi There! This recipe looks amazing! Id like to make a mini version of it in my 4inch spring form pan. What would I reduce each ingredient to?

Thank you!!

Hi Megan, I haven’t tried this recipe cut down, but it would be roughly a third of the original recipe and about 20 minutes baking. You can reference this recipe for help:

I think I gained some weight just by looking at all the amazing cake/cheesecake images here. My daughter is turning 14 this Sunday and she wants them all. It’s going to be epic!