Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies

Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies.  The sweet mixture of Orange and Chocolate with the added bonus of delicious spices, and smothered in a glaze.
Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies.  The sweet mixture of Orange and Chocolate with the added bonus of delicious spices, and smothered in a glaze. via www.wineandglue.com
Last month I did a guest post with these delicious little Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies over at Crazy for Crust.  Hopefully you are one of Dorothy’s loyal readers and didn’t miss them, because if there is a baking blogger you should be reading, it is her.
But on the off chance that you missed the Dorothy is Awesome Memo, here’s the recipe!
This recipe comes from my grandma, but has been adapted to be more to my liking, taking out lard and putting in butter, taking out nuts, and adjusting all the ingredients so that it can be cooked on a smaller scale.
Grandma liked to cook for the whole city.
These cookies come together so easily, really, you just mix it all together at once, form into little balls and bake them.  They are so delicious warm and right out of the oven, or you can let them cool and dip them in powdered sugar and milk to give them a nice glaze.
Orange Chocolate Spice Cookies
  • 3 cups sifted flour
  • 3 tsps baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • the juice of one orange (just shy of 1/3 cup)
  • the zest of one orange (optional)
  • 1 TBSP cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs (beaten)
  • 6 TBSPs butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup milk
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Put all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine.
  3. Shape the cookies into small balls and bake for 15 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  4. Once cooled dip in glaze (recipe below).
Glaze
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 TBSP milk
  1. Whisk the sugar and milk until well combined.
  2. Drizzle over cookies or dip them in.
  3. Note:  For a thicker glaze on the cookies, increase the amount of powdered sugar.
Want another recipe from my grandma made modern?  How about some Cookie Butter Biscotti?

Looking for more Orange Chocolate deliciousness?

Fudgey Brownies with Orange Frosting
Easy Chocolate Chip Orange Sweet Rolls
Image Map

Comments

1. Sarah says

When I made these cookies I had a problem with the batter being too soupy. How would you suggest to fix it? I followed the directions completely.

Sarah, without being in your kitchen with you, I can’t really be sure what went wrong. I’m actually surprised that you had the issue of soupiness with these cookies, since if anything I would worry that the batter would be too dry. Sorry they didn’t work out for you!

• Kelly says

All of my favorite flavors in one cookie! But I have to agree with Sarah. I’m having the same problem. The batter was the consistency of frosting. Could it be that “the juice of one orange juice” is too vague? I juiced one orange; it was a good 1/2-3/4 cup. Too much liquid in conjunction with the milk maybe? We stood at the mixer and kept adding more flour (about 4 TB); but still way too sticky to form balls. I treated them more like drop cookies. While they taste pretty good, they came out nothing like the photo. Where did we go wrong??

Kelly, its definitely possible that juice of one orange is too vague. I hate the idea of readers making a recipe of mine and not having it work out. I’m glad you liked the taste, I will have to make it again to see if I can figure out if some of wording is off and to get a more exact measurement of the orange juice. It is also possible that the butter was too soft. I was baking with a friend yesterday who reminded me many times that she is NOT a baker. For example, she mentioned that she didn’t realize that butter could be “too soft” for a recipe and that that would make a difference in the final product, which certainly could be the case with these cookies.

• Laura says

I’d love to try making these either today or Wednesday, but am hesitant based on a couple of comments about the dough not turning out.

Suggestions?

Hi Laura! I just tried this recipe again, and I updated the recipe to reflect that for me, the juice of one orange is 1/3 cup. I made it exactly as I have written, and I had no problems at all. Good luck! I hope you like them.

Hi Kelly! I just made these again and they worked fine. Though, you were totally right, the orange juice measurement was too vague. When I just did it, I got 1/3 cup of juice and that amount worked perfect. The dough still turned out sticky, but not soupy and definitely rollable.

Kelley, I think these would be good for a solid week stored in an airtight container. If you want them to last longer, I think that these would freeze really well if you freeze them with paper towels between the layers.