Candy Corn Poke Cake

Candy Corn Poke Cake!  The perfect Halloween dessert that is super easy to make but has a big wow factor!!

Candy Corn Poke Cake!  The perfect Halloween dessert that is super easy to make but has a big wow factor!! via www.wineandglue.com

Today is my little boy’s first day of all day school!  (I have already blogged about this approximately 7,462 times, so forgive me.)  It’s so emotional!!

Yesterday morning I was sitting in the kitchen with him and telling him that we would be heading to his school later that day to drop off school supplies and and for him to have his school picture taking.  I casually mentioned that this year he shouldn’t make his “poopn’ face” in the school picture . . . you know, where your kid does that awkward face that is supposed to be a smile but really just looks like they are pooping (I know, I’m the worst mom ever.) . . . last year {ahem} we didn’t end up ordering any.

He started bawling.

And I thought, “I’ve really done it this time.  I’m always thinking that I’m hilarious and I just let it fly all the time, but seriously, Lisa.  When will you learn to just shutty??”

I quickly picked Gavin up, and said, “Oh no!  What’s wrong??”  And he told me through sobs that he was just really sad about not being able to be at home with me and Quinn all day.

I blurted out, “Oh!!  I thought it was because I told you not to make a poopn’ face!!”  And he burst out laughing through his tears.

But then he went back to crying, and so did I.

It is kind of unimaginable that this kiddo of mine is in all day kindergarden.  I really feel like it must have been just a week ago that I was pacing the floor of his nursery willing him to go to sleep.  And surely it was just a few days ago that he told me that he loved me for the first time.  And it must have only been yesterday that we were celebrating his third birthday and he was literally the only thing that was getting me through losing his little brother.

Gavin is all sorts of special.  He is kind and loving and compassionate.  Funny and silly and smart.  He has a magnetic personality that draws people to him.

I worry that the time with him at home went too fast.  That I didn’t take advantage of every little second that I had with him at home.  And while I was holding a crying Gavin and crying myself which was just a vicious loop of us making each other cry more and more . . . I thought about the last day I spent with my mom.  She was so so sick.  And she asked my brothers to set up the tv in the guest room where she was camped out (a first floor vs second floor option) so she could watch Oprah.

As they scurried around the house looking for the tv, something to put it on, extension cords, etc I chatted with her.  She looked at me and said, “If you knew that you were going to die tomorrow, would you really want to spend your last hours watching Oprah?”  She paused for a minute and then said, “But it’s not about the last few hours.  It’s about how you lived your whole life.”

I know that this is kind of a dramatic comparison, but I think it is so easy to get caught up in the day to day with kids and worry that you yelled too much, allowed too much tv, too much candy, etc on any given day . . . but I think it’s good to step back and look at the big picture.  Recognize that your child is amazing, and though they are their own little person, you must be doing something right!

Guess what is three million times easier than parenting decisions?  Candy Corn Poke Cake!!  It’s really just regular ‘ole poke cake with a little flare, but it makes for a really fun Halloween treat!

Candy Corn Poke Cake

• one box of white cake mix, plus the fixn's needed to make it
  • food coloring
  • 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • whipped topping
  • candy corn

1. Make the cake batter as directed. Then divide it into three equal parts. Color one yellow, one orange, and leave one alone. Make sure you add enough to make it really vibrant.
  2. Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan . Spread the yellow layer evenly across the bottom, and then stick it in the freezer (make sure it is sitting flat). Leave it in there for 20 minutes.
  3. As soon as you pull it out, very carefully add the orange layer, pouring it as evenly as possible around the pan, and gently spreading it out to cover the yellow. Put it back in the freezer for 20 more minutes.
  4. Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on the cake mix.
  5. Taking out the cake batter pan, again, carefully spread the white layer. Let it sit on top of the preheating oven for at least 30 minutes.
  6. Bake according to package directions. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes throughout the cake with the end of a wooden spoon. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cake, making sure to fill each hole.
  7. Refrigerate overnight. Top with whipped topping, candy corn, and enjoy!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Looooove Poke Cake??  Check ‘em all out!

square_poke

Caramel Apple Poke Cakecaramel_apple_poke_cake

Want to find 30 more poke cakes???

poke_cake_recipe

How about another super cute Halloween treat??

peanut_butter_pretzel_pumpkins

This post contains affiliate links, thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.

Comments

• marilyn says

Put the emphasis on making the treat together & spending “time” together encouraging your daughter. Enjoy eating the treat and maybe ask her is she wants to take some of it to school to share with one other person. Just providing her a sweet treat can encourage children to “eat treats” when they feel sad.

I am so happy for this recipe!!! I have been so excited about for fall and all that comes with it! I have to try this! And don’t get me started on school! I have worried about whether or not I spent quality time with my kids before they started kindergarten, because we all know we can’t have that time back! Then I worry about whether we did enough, did I expose them to the right things. And now I have one more at home. I’m trying to enjoy every minute of it!
    tanya recently posted…Hickory BBQ Beef Chili #kraftrecipemakersMy Profile

What a sweet story, Lisa. We went to all-day kindergarten last year – and it was WAY more emotional for me than it was for my kiddo. I took the day off work and basically bawled and wondered how those last 5 years went so fast. Kind of went through the same thing this year for first grade. I’ll probably still be doing it when he’s in high school and I don’t care.

And this cake? OMG – I just love it!
    Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted…Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana BreadMy Profile

This is such a sweet post, Lisa. What a tender-hearted, sweet boy you are raising! I’m so sorry to hear about Gavin’s little brother. I can’t even imagine what that must have been like. We just never know how long we’ll have on this earth and it’s best to try and enjoy every single second – while not being too hard on ourselves for mistakes we make. Gavin will learn to love school and you will too! It’s so much fun for him to have some time away with friends! :)

Anyway, love this poke cake so much! Halloween is the best holiday! I want to make this for my boys, they would love it! Big hugs to you!!! xo!
    Jen Nikolaus recently posted…Easy Ranch Chicken PizzaMy Profile

Who doesn’t love Poke Cakes of all kinds!?!?!? We’d love for you to come over to our newest link party over at The Inspiration Network: DELISH- a desserts only link party. Bring your desserts and let’s party!!

Smiles,
    Melanie and Diana
    The Inspiration Network
    Melanie (Reasons to Skip The Housework) recently posted…Fall Chalkboard Printables from Nest of PosiesMy Profile

hehe, poopn, love it! I think my kids purposely try to screw up their school photos and I keep trying to tell them “one day, you’ll be famous and the press will find that old horrible school photo and you’ll be sorry then” LOL. They do grow up so fast, it’s why I have to keep their baby photos on my desk, just so I can remember when they were young and cute! I love your poke cake and I’m so glad to see the Halloween treat appearing, my favorite time of year! Thanks for sharing at Thursday’s Treasures, I’m featuring you this week on the blog and FB!
    Joan@Chocolate and More recently posted…Sugar Crumb CakeMy Profile

Joan, when I was a senior in hs, we had professional pictures done that we then sent in for the year book, but the school still wanted pictures done for our IDs, so my friends and I thought it would be funny to take REALLY crazy ones for those, since they would barely see the light of day . . . sigh. The stupid things you do when you are 17. :) Thanks for sharing this!!!! You made my week!

Your son sounds adorable and sweet- hope he is settling in at school now!

Also- I just wanted to let you know that I found your recipe via Pinterest, while I was looking to see if the candy corn cupcake recipe I do was already pinned somewhere. Anyway – I noticed that your recipe is being pinned so that when people click it, it takes them to someone elses website, not yours. You can click the flag under the pin to report it as your intellectual property. I found you via your watermark, and had to tell you because I hate when people steal others stuff! So just letting you know. One of the pins of it is here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/491033165592835799/ Its a beautiful pin- I hope you get credit for it:)
    Shannon Schmid recently posted…Mommy Club Linky Link Up!My Profile

7. Liz says

My stove and oven are separate. (Built in oven and counter drop-in stove.). How long do you think the cake should sit out of the freezer? 45 minutes?

45 minutes might be a bit long, but certainly it wouldn’t hurt anything to have it sit out on the counter that long. Treat it like any other cake, it will be done when a tooth pick stuck in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs.

Oh gosh, Lisa. I actually just stumbled across this on Pinterest and saw your watermark {“hey, I know her!!”} and had missed it before so I had to come over and look. I wasn’t planning on a good cry. And a laugh too. What a great story and the poke cake is so fun! Pinned, of course. Thanks for sharing this! xo
    Claire @ A Little Claireification recently posted…Cheesy Ham & Grits Casserole & More | Best Of The Weekend Party!My Profile

Karen, I have made a couple poke cakes without the sweetened condensed milk (I actually just posted one today). However, for this one, I’m not sure what else you could fill the holes with besides sweetened condescend milk that wouldn’t change the orange and yellow colors that make this cake so fun. You could try googling non-dairy sweetened condensed milk.

1. […] Candy Corn Poke Cake – Poke cake is one of my go-to desserts.  Even though I’m not a huge fan of cake, I really enjoy a poke cake.  I think it is because it is so moist and light.  I’ve never tried a candy corn poke cake, but I think it would be a huge hit. […]