Healthy Turkey Chili that is hearty, warming, and super delicious!
On the way to school yesterday, Gavin asked me for some money for his book fair.
I was about to say no, because I’m they type of mom that just immediately says no. You know, out of principle.
And then I started thinking back to when I was a kid, and the joy that came from ordering books from the Scholastic Book Club, or even better yet, picking them out in person at the book fair.
They would come all wrapped in plastic wrap and totally fresh and crisp, the bindings of the book, never cracked, the pages all pristine.
I’m still in love with a brand spanking new book as an adult. I kind of loathe traveling, especially by myself, which is in mass quantities lately, but I love that travel can be the perfect excuse for buying a new book. Because you know, the practical person just gets a book from the library, but the super practical person buys a new book for travel, because who would dare risk losing the library’s book while you are on a trip to Omaha??
Okay, so I still haven’t handed over the cash for the book fair, but just between you and me, I probably will. I’m a sucker for things like that. Especially good for you things that come in nice packages.
Like this Healthy Turkey Chili (how’d you like that segue??)! To me there is pretty much nothing better in the fall than a good soup, and I am a big fan of chili. I normally don’t love sour cream, but since being pregnant, I can’t seem to get enough of it! Especially stirred into chili. This is the third batch of chili I’ve made in my house in like two weeks, and I know there will be more to come!
This chili is really healthy, it is made with ground turkey, which is such a lean and low fat meat. And then I pilled on the veggies in the form of tomatos, onions, green peppers, and kidney beans. Plus it is all sauteed in just a light spraying of cooking oil. You don’t get much healthier than that!
So let’s pile on the sour cream people!
- Chunky Turkey Chili
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
- 1.25 pound of ground turkey
- salt and pepper
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 14 oz can of kidney beans, drained
- 28 oz of diced tomatoes in sauce, undrained
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and green pepper to the pan. Stir and sauté until the veggies are cooked through and the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the spices and stir until combined.
- Add the kidney beans and tomatoes with their sauce, and two cups of water. Stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for thirty minute.
- Looking for more delicious fall soups?