Sausage and Mushroom Overnight Breakfast Strata | The BEST breakfast casserole! Sure to be a crowd pleaser!
I’ve been having this fantasy . . .
See, it’s brunch season, right? I mean with Easter and Mother’s Day around the corner, brunch is for sure on my brain, and on the brain of lots of other bloggers too!
So my fantasy. It involves my favorite restaurant (which I’ve mentioned enough times in this blog to be embarrassed), and Mother’s Day. Each year on Mother’s Day they have this delicious brunch. Well they have it every weekend, but on Mother’s Day, if you’re a mom you get a free Mimosa and a rose. #icouldntcarelessabouttherose
So in this fantasy, we are sitting outside of this restaurant (their outdoor seating is this amazing cobblestone bridge, which makes me nervous about my kids throwing crayons in a river, but pretty much it’s just awesome), and I am enjoying my amazing Mother’s Day Brunch and I’m enjoying my even more amazing free Mimosa.
Also, in this fantasy, I’m skinny. And my kids are 100% clean and perfectly behaved.
Let’s just ignore for a minute that this year Mother’s Day falls exactly a week after my due date . . . .
Okay, that’s a little hard to ignore.
So given my love for brunch (and apparently for grand delusions), it’s a good thing I have this Sausage and Mushroom Overnight Breakfast Strata recipe in my back pocket!
This recipe isn’t hard to make, and it is perfect to put together the night before a family brunch and throw in the oven the day of. It needs to be in the fridge at least one hour, but can stay in there up to 24. Since this is complied of layers, I have step by step pictures of how to put it together. In the last one, you can see that there is a heavy bag of sugar on top of it. You need to weigh it down with something like this before you stick it in the fridge.
- French Bread (about half a long loaf sliced into 1/2 inch pieces and dried overnight)
- 8 oz Sweet Italian Sausage (I used Jennie-o turkey sausage links)
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 8 oz Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half (I used fat free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Saute the the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the mushrooms and continue sautéing until they are fully cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spray an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of the sliced dry bread.
- Using a slotted spoon, cover the bread with half of the sausage and mushroom mixture. Top it with a third of the cheese. Repeat for a second layer.
- Pour the cream and egg mixture over the top evenly. Cover with saran wrap and weigh down with something heavy, like a bag of sugar.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- After refrigerating, remove the plastic wrap, and top with the final third of the cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the eggs start to pull away from the side of the pan at 325 degrees.
Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen
Need more brunch recipes?