Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting

This Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting has such a perfect pumpkin flavor, and would be amazing on a million different things!This Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting has such a perfect pumpkin flavor, and would be amazing on a million different things!

You guys it’s after Labor Day!  You know what that means, right??

The other day, Nathan looked at me and he said, “So . . . frosting is totally your weakness, huh?”

At the time I may or may not have had my finger dipped completely in a tupperwear container full of frosting at the time.  It is true.  Frosting is to me what honey is to Winnie the Pooh.  Sooner or later you are going to catch me with a pot of frosting stuck to my head, and me not totally convinced that I want you to free me from it.

So I may or may not be on a mission to also FROSTING ALL THE THINGS!

It started with my S’mores Buttercream Frosting, and now I’ve moved on to pumpkin.  And hold on to your hats, because just think of all the different flavors that come with fall and the holiday season . . . cinnamon, apple, gingerbread, peppermint . . . eggnog!  Oh my goodness, I literally just felt my pants get tighter.

The follow up with the conversation with Nathan was, “Umm, babe . . . you might just want to not make frosting.”

Ha!  I laugh in the face of his logic and reasoning!

This pumpkin frosting is absolutely delicious.  It is so perfectly pumpkin, and would go amazing with so many different things.  If pie isn’t your thing, you could use it to frost a giant chocolate cake and serve that at Thanksgiving.  Or it would be awesome and so color appropriate on top of chocolate cupcakes for Halloween.  Or, imagine it between two chocolate graham crackers.

I have a delicious recipe coming tomorrow using this frosting that’s going to knock your socks off.  But if you can’t wait, you know I totally won’t hold it against you if you just go at it with a spoon.

Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting

• 4 TBSPs unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup 100% pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 5 cups powdered sugar

1. Slowly cream together the butter and the pumpkin using a whisk attachment. (Note: I wasn't able to get it to a completely smooth mixture even after several minutes of my mixer on medium, so just get it as close to combined as possible.)
  2. Beat in the vanilla, then the cinnamon, then the nutmeg.
  3. Slowly add the powdered sugar about a cup at a time until you are able to get it to the right consistency.

You might also like

Pumpkin Oreospumpkin_oreos

S’mores Buttercream Frostingsmores_buttercream_frosting

Frosting from friends

Fresh Cherry Frosting from Taste and Tell

Lime Cream Cheese Frosting from Lemon Tree Dwelling

Brown Butter Chocolate Frosting from Crazy For Crust

1. Christine says

Ok so i came across this on fb and well i love the fall and ALL things pumpkin or apple so throwing my diet to the wind i have decided with my best friend we are making this tonight!!!! We are going to make choc cupcakes to go with it but i will be making a lot extra some for a late night snake with a spoon and then for tomorrows recipe!!

2. Rossa Roy-Abraham says

Oooh looks yummy for my egg intolerant son. Could the pumpkin be substituted for parsnip/cauliflower if a white frosting is desired?

• Lauren says

Why not try a white squash like pattypan and bake it and purée the flesh it might be off white but with the addition of the powdered sugar it may become whiter.

3. JaneEllen says

Oh me, this frosting looks so good, good thing I’m at home so nobody can see me salivating. I can hardly wait to make this frosting to put on a spice cake. One of my favorites is spice cake with pumpkin frosting I think, I just now realized that. Great recipe, glad I found your blog thru Cottage in the Oaks, Friday Favorites. Your frosting looks so yummmmy. Happy weekend

4. Jennifer MacLeod says

I won’t even go on an on about this recipe, because… pumpkin? YUM. …buttercream?YUM. …frosting? YUM. But I HAD to giddily squee at the fact you mentioned frosting on graham crackers! I grew up eating frosting on graham crackers (YUM). Everyone looks weird at me, though, when I mention this snack. They’ve never heard of it before. Pfft, oh well… more for me & my daughter. 😉

Hi Lisa. I just found your web site and all I can say is wow. I ran out of printer paper. Going to make a lot of your recipes for Christmas. My daughter and I get together at Christmas and make goodie for presents. I’ll add these to my Caramel Corn, fudge, and Oreo Balls. 😉 You can teach an old dog new tricks. Look forward to new recipes. See you on the web.

6. Victoria says

I was sitting here thinking up new cupcake flavors for fall and it dawned on me… What is my favorite drink in fall? Vanilla Chai with pumpkin spice. Why not make it a cupcake?! My signature cupcake is already vanilla Chai so I am going to try your pumpkin buttercream on top. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

7. Colleen says

Simple ingredients and looks easy enough to make HOWEVER my mixer is 22 years old and doesn’t have a whisk attachment.
    Has anyone made it with the regular beaters?
    How might it turn out if you first “whipped” the pumpkin to try to smooth it out then added the remaining ingredients?

8. Nikki says

I am making cupcakes for my sons first birthday. I am wondering if this is good consistency for decorating cupcakes? Has anyone used it for that.

9. Mary says

I made this today and it was really sweet. I ended up using 1 stick of butter instead of half to counter the sweetness. It worked! Thanks for the recipe!

I am doing the cupcakes for my son’s wedding in 2 weeks. I’m thinking I will make the frosting a few days ahead of time and refrigerate it. I was planning on frosting the cupcakes the day before the wedding. Do you think I can leave them for one day unrefrigerated?

That stinks Kristyna! My best guess is that the butter wasn’t the right consistency, i.e. too liquidy. It should be room temperature, meaning that you should be able to gently push a finger in and dent it but not go all the way through.

11. Angie says

I found the texture to be a little grainy, so I beat in about 1/4-1/3 cup of milk and then slowly added icing sugar for the right consistency. Nice and smooth!

Great recipe. I really like the flavor. 🙂

I’m so sorry that this recipe didn’t work for you. From what you’ve described, it sounds like the butter was not soft enough. It needs to be room temperature. The best way to accomplish that is to cut it into one inch pieces and leave it on the counter for about a half hour. If it it isn’t soft enough it won’t cream with the pumpkin, and then the sugar. And then yes, absolutely the texture will be off.

12. Storm Arashi says

Oh I am so making this. I’m gonna make a Black Magic cake for Halloween but I’m allergic to a good chunk of food dye so dying vanilla buttercream orange is not good for my skin at all. This is naturally orange and looks naturally DELICIOUS. I think I’m gonna need to make a few “test” cakes… You know. For science. And frosting.