This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup is beyond simple, but so delicious! It definitely needs to be part of your dinner rotation! I’m so excited to be partnering with Crystal Farms® Cheese to make this soup cheesy in the most delicious way possible!
You guys, I’m so excited about this recipe! It’s one that I have been working on forever, and couldn’t quite get right because I wanted to make a roux and then add that to the crock pot, and the result just wasn’t quite right to me.
But now! Now! I think I finally have a soup that I love and what’s even better about it is that it is way easier than the original version.
This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup starts so simply with just carrots, onions, broccoli and a few spices cooking in the slow cooker for a few hours.
Then you add the most delicious and amazing medium cheddar from Crystal Farms® Cheese. There really are differences in cheeses, and for this soup to be good, you want to make it with a high quality cheddar, like Crystal Farms. It’s at the heart of the flavor of your soup, so it’s the way to go. Add just a little at a time and let it melt into the soup. If you add it too fast, you will end up with big clumps and it sticking to the bottom of your crock pot. So you want to add it in at least four batches.
You can then blend it up a little if you don’t want as many chunks in your soup, though I didn’t blend mine at all, because I like those big bites of broccoli.
Finally, you add in some half and half. If you want a richer soup you could go with heavy cream, but I really liked it this way.
And that’s it! So simple, right? This soup is best served right away, but if you have left overs (you won’t), heat it over low heat on your stove top!
For more great slow cooker recipes using the delicious Crystal Farms® Cheese, be sure to follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. And be sure to enter below to win your own Crock-Pot Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker!
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock or even beef stock would also work!)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Read all the instructions before beginning.
- Combine the broccoli, carrots, and onion in a slow cooker. Add the chicken stock, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Set your slower cooker to LOW for 4 and a half hours. (All slow cookers are different if your broccoli is not very tender after four hours, add more time.)
- At four hours turn the slow cooker to HIGH so that you can complete the process with the temperature raised.
- Add the cheese a little at a time. I did this by adding a half cup, covering and letting it melt and then stirring it, before then adding another half cup.
- Finally, stir in the half and half. Serve immediately.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms Cheese. The opinions and text are all mine.