Bailey’s Fudge

This Bailey’s Fudge is easy to make, tastes absolutely delicious, and is the perfect amount of rich amazingness!

This Bailey's Fudge is easy to make, tastes absolutely delicious, and is the perfect amount of rich amazingness!

You guys.

The most embarrassing thing happened to me the other day.

So I was at Target looking for cookie cutters shaped like ninjas because, I mean, why wouldn’t I be doing that on a random Tuesday night?

Side note, they are for a Christmas post that is coming your way soon 😉

I was walking around listening to my podcast and shopping, which has become my newest and very favorite pastime #nerdpastimes, and I guess going there I just assumed that ALL the Christmas stuff would be out. I mean, I’m working on all my Christmas posts, so it stands to reason that Target would have all their partridges in pear trees in a row . . . . that was supposed to be like ducks in a row . . . I sense it fell flat . . .

Anyway!

So, their Christmas stuff is not in fact all out as I thought it would be, but there were a bunch of guys opening boxes and putting it out. Given that shopping trips alone to Target are more rare than my house being clean and going with the kids makes me want to stab myself in the eye with all the plastic spoons Target has to offer . . . I thought I should just go and ask them about it. I mean. There had to be some ninja cookie cutters in those unpacked boxes. #firstworldproblems

So I ask one of the guys about it and made a joke about something because obviously I’m hilarious and need to show that to everyone all the time . . . . and you guys.  I think he thought I was flirting with him! All of the sudden he worked into the conversation that he is married. You guys. It wasn’t a conversation. I was asking about cookie cutters!

All of the sudden it occurred to me “OMG. He thinks I’m flirting with him!!!” And as the thought occurred to me, approxiatmely 0.2 seconds after he mentioned his wife, my face went BEET red.  Which I’m sure was really further evidence that for him that I was the most desperate of housewives.  I was dying.  I am not even kidding when I tell you that I seriously considered explaining to him, much in the same way that I have done here with you, dear wonderful strangers of the whole inter webs.

But then he quickly told me he didn’t have the cookie cutters and I swallowed what was left of my pride, hung my head, and high tailed it to the baking section where I promptly bought them out of chocolate chips, Ande’s pieces, and all the sweetened condensed milk I could get my hands on.

I already had Baileys.

#duh

And here, you have the Bailey’s Fudge bought from that fateful night, lol.

It is phenomenal, delicious, and so ridiculously easy.  This fudge is perfect for gift giving because it is so insanely easy to make.  And it is totally addictive. I made a video for this post (YAY!! . . . Other side note . . . did you know that you really get shown only like 1% of what I post on FB if you don’t interact with the posts . . Facebook loves showing you videos though, that’s why so many food bloggers you love have been doing them.) and because of that and the needs for a pan to make, a pan that was done . . . and a video retake that required ANOTHER pan, I literally have so much of this fudge.

And I’m okay with that 🙂

This fudge is fine out of the fridge, but if you want it to be very firm I would keep it in there. Enjoy peeps!

EDITED TO ADD: I have had a lot of complaints from people of this fudge not setting.  The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of Baileys, and when I originally made it I only used 1/4 cup. I’ve made it both ways and had it set, but I’m editing the recipe just to be on the safe side.

Bailey’s Fudge

• 3 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips (about 21 ounces)
  • 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup Baileys (see note)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup Andes baking chips

1. Line an 8 by 8 inch pan with aluminum foil.
  2. In a large bowl combine the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Microwave for one minute, stir, and microwave for 30 seconds.
  3. Stir in the Baileys and the vanilla extract until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and top with the baking chips. Press in slightly.
  4. Cover and refrigerate for four hours until firm. For firmer fudge store in the refrigerator.

Notes

I have had a lot of complaints from people of this fudge not setting. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of Baileys, and when I originally made it I only used 1/4 cup. I've made it both ways and had it set, but I'm editing the recipe just to be on the safe side.

You might also like:

Amaretto Fudge

chocolate_fudge_recipe

Bailey’s Poke Cake

baileys_poke_cake_3

This post contains affiliate links, if you click on them and then make a purchase, I make a small amount of money at no additional cost to you.  Thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.

Comments

1. Laurie A. says

I’ve made Bailey’s fudge before with these ingredients, but didn’t put in enough Baileys so I’ll have to try your recipe. I like my fudge boozy! ???? As for the ninja bread men cookie cutters, I’ve gotten mine through Perpetualkid.com but they’re currently out of stock. Try this site since it is the company that designed them in the first place. http://www.fredandfriends.com/kitchen/ninjabread-men/NBREAD.html
    Happy baking!

2. sharon l says

I am new to your site. Your recipes are wonde4rful but I now have to read about your insights into life. You have me rolling on the floor, girl. Keep it up!

3. Linda says

I’m not a drinker but I like the taste of it in fudge. I made Jack Daniels fudge once and it was good. Yours is so much easier to make. Love your sense of humor as much as your recipes.

4. Laurie says

Ok silly me, did you mean line the pan with waxpaper? Because, against my better judgement, i knew what would happen, I used aluminum foil and the fudge stuck so bad I wasted half the batch trying to get it loose.:-(

Nope, I lined with aluminum foil, and mine stuck too when I tired to pull it off too early. The fudge has to be right out of the fridge and fully set for it come off well.

• Sam says

Mine stuck too. I left in the fridge overnight even. finally put it in the freezer hoping to get it hard enough. Cuts in pieces and placed on wax paper instead. Hoping works. Taste is great though.

I’m so sorry Sam! I know a lot of people have been struggling, so I updated the recipe to be only 1/4 cup Bailey’s and 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, though I have made it with 1/2 cup and *have* had it set.

• Sue Hollnagel says

I also lined my pan with aluminum foil and had a heck of a time getting off. Mine sat in the refrigerator for over 24 hours and never set up. The good thing was it tasted great but what a job getting it off the foil:(

I’m so sorry Sue! I know a lot of people have been struggling, so I updated the recipe to be only 1/4 cup Bailey’s and 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, though I have made it with 1/2 cup and *have* had it set.

5. Juddie R says

Do you think semi sweet chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate would be ok? I really don’t like milk chocolate.

I made it with semi sweet and the texture and taste didn’t turn out great. I liked it with the milk chocolate much much more. That said, I love experimenting in the kitchen (obviously) and I say go for it. It might just be a matter of taste.

6. Jan says

I made this fudge early this afternoon and it never set. It’s been in the fridge for 6 hours & it’s still not set. However it tastes awesome. Help!

Eeep! I’m so sorry Jan! Did you by any chance scrape the can of sweetened condensed milk? You really have to just pour it until it comes to a slow drizzle and then stop. I’ll add that note to the recipe!

• Sam says

Lisa, that was in my receipe but I ignored it. Does scraping the can add too much liquid? Is that why it doesn’t set up properly?

7. Graham says

I’ve had the same reaction from men twice when I was only trying to mingle at parties. Guys, get over yourselves! Can’t wait to try the fudge. Thanks!

8. Marilyn says

I don’t drink so adding a non-alcoholic substitute would be helpful to non-drinkers. I found Bailey’s Irish Coffee Creamer as a substitue. Will let you know how it turns out.

9. Beth says

Just made this fudge and I didn’t have the chips for the top so I did add crushed walnuts, waiting for it to set now, I did a taste test before putting it in the fridge (couldn’t resist) and omg it tastes soooo good.
    Can’t wait for it to set, I will let you know how it goes with the nuts on top.
    Thank you for this wonderful easy recipe…

10. The Hippie Chick Crafta says

Making these tonight, my husband said he’ll take some to work with him tomorrow but tell them they can ONLY have 1 a piece lol

11. Linda Thompson says

The Baileys sounded amazing so I made it today. It is delicious, however, it did not set up for me. I did not scrape the sides of the sweetened condensed milk can as suggested in the recipe. However, I did use two full bags of chocolate chips which equals 4 cups rather than three and a half cups. Could this have been my problem?

I’m so sorry Linda! I know a lot of people have been struggling, so I updated the recipe to be only 1/4 cup Bailey’s and 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, though I have made it with 1/2 cup and *have* had it set.

I’m so sorry Fran! I know a lot of people have been struggling, so I updated the recipe to be only 1/4 cup Bailey’s and 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, though I have made it with 1/2 cup and *have* had it set.

12. Kath Robertson says

I’m absolutely addicted to your recipe videos, luv em, luv em, luv em!! Unfortunately though I’ve been struggling with the “cup” measurements & not everything I’ve tried turns out well :o(. Can you tell me what size of cup I should use or give me measurements in ounces or whatever? Thank you SO much in advance. ????

I do not know what I did wrong! I followed this recipe and the fudge was so gooey…it would not get hard !
    I stuck it in the freezer and still did not cut well!
    I ended up throwing two batches in the trash .
    Any thoughts to what I may had done wrong ??

I’m so sorry Debbi! I know a lot of people have been struggling, so I updated the recipe to be only 1/4 cup Bailey’s and 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, though I have made it with 1/2 cup and *have* had it set.

14. Lee Tindale says

My mum isn’t a drinker but Baileys with milk she will drink, (basically a Baileys milk drink like an ice coffee) but I know she will love these and if their boozy enough will be funny to see my mum tipsy for the first time ever. Xmas present for mum sorted thx

15. Linda says

What is the temperature of your microwave? I am sure that would make a difference. I don’t want to waste the Baileys. SoundS good.

16. Eileen says

I’m thinking that maybe some people’s fudge didn’t set because they accidentally used evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed? I didn’t even know Carnation made s c milk, I’ve only ever purchased Eagle Brand of store brand. The only Carnation I’ve ever seen was evaporated.

17. Jen says

In reading the directions, it calls for 3 1/2 cups milk but doesn’t mention when to add it. I’m assuming you add it with the condensed milk?

18. Donna says

Just made these and they are great. I did notice the list of ingredients called for 1 cup of condensed milk, the directions say pour entire can in. If they bought a 14oz can, like I did, and didn’t measure 1 cup that could be problem. I almost made that mistake.

19. Judie Joellenbeck says

Well, I had my comment almost written and now it’s gone!!! Anyway, try Reynolds heavy duty non-stick aluminum foil. That should take care of the sticking problem. Love Bailys!! You have a fantastic sense of humor…sorta reminds me of me, lol !!!

20. Nancy says

Really anxious try, I am going to try mine with the non stick foil, after reading the problems with sticking to the foil.

21. Jennie McJilton says

I did not make this in the microwave, I made it over the stove and made sure all chips were melted and it was nice and smooth over a low heat then put it in the pan and it turned out perfect.

22. Michelle says

This might be a silly question but do you microwave this on high or medium? I microwaved it on high and when I went to stir it at one minute it was a big grainy ball of goop.

23. Kathy says

Thank you for the updated directions. I made my first batch with the original recipe and it turned out very sticky. I looked back on your blog and found the revised version. The new version is EXCELLENT!, This is the first batch of fudge I have ever made. I cant believe it is so easy. I actually measured out the ounces on the milk instead of using a measuring cup. The fudge turned out great. You can still taste the Baileys even with the lesser amount. The mints are a perfect touch but they can be a little over powering if you put too much on. I am giving these out at Christmas. Great Recipe!!!!!

24. Rebecca Garcia says

I made this last month and it was a huge hit at Thanksgiving! The texture and taste were perfect. I came back to find the recipe again because I’m going to make this for Christmas. However, I don’t know how much Bailey’s I used because I don’t know if the recipe was changed to 1/4 cup Baileys before or after I made it!! Any help with the date the recipe was changed would be greatly appreciated!
    P.S. Reading through the comments, I notice some have problems getting the fudge out of the pan. I use a brownie pan. It’s like a spring form pan with a false bottom, but it’s oblong, not round. I also line it with parchment paper and it didn’t stick at all. The paper peeled right off.

25. Kat West says

I used parchment paper to line my pan instead of foil and it didn’t stick and was easy to remove from the pan.
    Followed the recipe otherwise, and it came out great. Very rich, so cut into small bars.

Just made this and was perfect!!! I’m in Wales, UK so I converted ingredient measurements to grams and ml as follows and used dark choc (as that’s what I had in cupboard):
    420g Dark Choc
    235ml Sweetened Condensed Milk
    60ml Baileys
    1tsp Vanilla extract
    I melted choc on hob over saucepan of water then added sweetened condensed milk (it started thickening immediately so I quickly added baileys and vanilla, mixed well then pressed into pan. I topped with Christmassy sprinkles as it’s for my son’s teacher for Christmas present. It was perfectly firmed in an hour or so and has been cut up, tried and tested (by me ☺️) and is delicious. I am also giving some to a friend in a hamper I am creating for Christmas. Thanks for this fab recipe. So simple to make x

27. Gail says

I made this exactly as instructed but it hasn’t set ????. So I heated up and we had some with ice cream it won’t go to waste but it’s a shame.

28. Tabi Barbu says

I slightly tweaked this recipe by using baileys coffee liqueur and adding 2 TBSP instant coffee to the first step to make a nice baileys mocha fudge. 3 1/2 Tbsp Bailee’s is what I used and it firmed up just fine

29. K says

I do not know how this recipe didn’t set up for some ppl. I just made this and it began to set up almost immediately after I added the condensed milk. It came out perfectly. And I might add I have never made fudge before.

30. Michelle Vaughn says

I tried out this recipe this weekend; using the 1/4 of a cup and using semi-sweet (all I had in house during a little snow storm!) and I also used the Salted Caramel Bailey’s and left off the Andes mints. The batch came out perfect and everyone loved it. My brother the food critic said it was missing a little something – I’m thinking its the semi sweet vs milk chocolate. I’m going to try this again with milk chocolate and also add some sea salt to the top.

31. Connie says

I made these, very delicious, were very sloppy, so I rolled the squares in coconut , & made yummy bailey balls????, I used 1/2 cup of vanilla bailey’s

32. Lori says

Ok here are my modifications and they turned out good in the long run.
    I used the whole 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk, didn’t want to waste it
    Only used 1/4 cup Bailey’s
    Never fully set up so I scooped out small amounts m rolled into balls and rolled in chopped pecans, or you could use powdered sugar, cocoa, or the Andes mint chips
    They taste like gooey yummy truffles.
    I used parchment paper better than foil, but because mine were gooey had to scrape off paper.
    Next time I would follow the directions and or maybe add 4 cups chocolate chips to make it firmer. Super easy to make in the microwave!
    Instead of the Andes chips on top, chopped nuts, or mini chic chips or nothing would be good. ThAnks this will now be a staple.

Hi Sarah! As noted, I made it with 1 cup SCM and 1/2 cup Baileys and had it set just fine. Others have as well. I made the change to the recipe after I got so many comments of people having trouble. So it’s totally your call. Just make sure you have Sweetened Condensed Milk and not Evaporated Milk (made by the same brands and in the same sized jars and *right* next to each other), and know that you might end up eating it with a spoon while watching Love Actually. Which really mightn’t be that bad.

34. Tina says

Hi Lisa I made the Bailey’s fudge OMG!!! They are delicious & set perfectly…..Thank you for a great recipe..

Tina x

35. Annette says

Made this yesterday. Only change I made was using one bag of dark chocolate and one bag of semi sweet chocolate chips because that’s what I had on hand. Set up perfect, loved the flavor of the chocolates I used, by far the easiest fudge I’ve made. Next time I won’t top with Andes though. I like Andes a lot but felt the mint overpowered the flavor of the fudge. I will definitely make again!

36. J Diddy says

Thank you so much for this! How much easier and more delicious could it be?? 🙂 By the way, I made it your original way (1/2c) a month or so ago, and then your edited way (1/4c) this weekend and to be honest I prefer the original. Yes, it is a softer set but not so much that it is unmanageable…and with the edited version, I almost feel like I taste the Andes on top more so than the Baileys inside. Again, both ways tasty! 🙂

37. beth says

This fudge sounds great. Could the problem with it setting up be the kind of chocolate they use? Cant use candy melts, use good quality choc. chips. Also, make sure that NO WATER gets into the mix, cheap vanilla flavoring may contain water, and condensation from the bowl used in the microwave may be problems

Hi Beth! I kind of wonder if some of the people who’s fudge isn’t setting are using evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk. What you mention could also certainly be the problems, but tiny bits of water shouldn’t lead to not setting.