This Chicken Taco Casserole is comfort food at it’s finest! Easy to make, packed with flavor, and totally delicious! Thank you Reames for partnering with me for this amazing dinner!
So I have a confession to make: As much as I complain about living in Wisconsin and the absolutely ridiculous cold winter temperatures that come along with it, it does have it’s . . . . upsides.
For one, some of my cutest clothes are winter clothes. Second, the food! (Come to think of it, knowing me, I should have really listed to food first.) I love warm soups, crock pot meals, and delicious easy casseroles. They are so perfect for busy weeknight meals . . . which, seriously, our lives have been PACKED with lately. But also, they are all the major food groups in one pot!
If I’m being entirely honest, my kids really love soup (YAY!!), but I am still working on convincing them of the deliciousness of casseroles. But they really liked this casserole! It helped that I packed in some of their favorite things: chicken, beans, corn, cheese . . . . and they loved the Reames Frozen Egg Noodles. It’s fair to say that it was their favorite part of the dish.
You can totally make this casserole ahead of time and then pop it in the oven right before dinner time. AND! You guys, there are so many casseroles that are only so so as left overs, but this one is AMAZING! I popped it in the oven at 220 for an hour, and it was totally perfect, not dry at all.
Chicken Taco Casserole
- 3 TBSPs unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 TBSPs all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk I used skim
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 12 oz egg noodles cooked (I used Reames)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2.5 to 3L baking dish with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, and in a large saucepan, melt the butter. Sauté the garlic for about 30 seconds before adding the flour. Mix in the flour until fully incorporated.
- Very very slowly, mix in the milk. You want to add about a tablespoon of milk at the time, only adding more milk once what you just added is fully incorporated.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salsa. Then mix in the black beans, frozen corn, shredded chicken, egg noodles, and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes and serve warm.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW TO ENTER TO WIN A $50 GIFT CARD!
Just tell me your favorite winter comfort food! Open to U.S. Residents only, must be 18 years or older to enter. No purchase necessary. Please comment before December 31st, 2015 for a chance to win.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Marzetti Reames Frozen Egg Noodles. The opinions and text are all mine.