This Creamy Potato Soup with Bacon is the perfect winter soup. Made with simple ingredients, this soup is the definition of comfort food. Serve it all by itself or make an apple bacon salad to go on the side and some warm fast easy biscuits.
Welp. We made it through the first week of everyone back in school and ALL the activities and I can tell you that we are BEAT. Seriously, all five of us need an epic nap. In fact, I just got home from picking up Piper at school, and she asked for a snuggle on the couch with me. So I am off to do that. #importanttasks But I wanted to give you this amazing soup recipe before I did.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY POTATO SOUP FROM SCRATCH
So the key to this recipe is making a good roux. It’s one of those things that we aren’t born knowing how to do, you know, like boiling water, but with a little practice you can make a roux to rival great sous chefs. It’s that fat and flour mixture that you slowly add liquid to that makes for a super creamy delicious soup.
- Start by cooking some cut up bacon in a large stock pot. It will render it’s fat which is the first thing you need for your epic roux.
- Next you want to sauté your veggies in the bacon fat until they are soft.
- Then add your flour, the second part of your roux!
- Now you slowly add your chicken stock. Guys, it’s really key that you go slowly here. I’m talking like two tablespoons at a time for the first little bit, fully whisking in your liquid. If you don’t do it that way, you won’t get as creamy of a soup.
- Now you just let your potatoes cook in there and add in your milk at the end.
This creamy potato soup with bacon takes about an hour to make, but a big chunk of the time is just letting the potatoes get soft.
And I have to say, we love a great soup like this for a weeknight dinner in the fall and winter. It’s so comforting and it’s the ultimate one pot meal.
OTHER GREAT SOUP RECIPES FOR THE FALL AND WINTER
- This Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a go to for us! I make it all the time and I even have instant pot version with this Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup.
- This Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is another one that I make a lot in the fall and winter. It is fast to throw together and super comforting.
- This New England Clam Chowder is my husband’s absolute favorite. If there was one meal that was the way to his heart, this would be it. It is seriously delicious and another great one to practice your roux skills.
Okay, I need to head off to do those very important snuggles, but before I do, I wanted to throw out there that if you are looking for an easy and beautiful way to follow me, head over to Instagram! I post several times a day and it’s basically all the deliciousness your eyes can handle. And if you do make one of my recipes please please please tag me on Instagram (@lisawineandglue) and throw a hashtag in there for good measure too! #wineandgluerecipes
Thanks friends! Happy weekend!
Creamy Potato Soup with Bacon
- 6 slices thick cut bacon diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- diced scallions for topping
- bacon pieces for topping
- In a large heavy bottomed stock pot, cook the bacon until just crispy.
- Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are soft. About 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the flour into the vegetable mixture. Then very slowly add the chicken stock. It works best to add a few tablespoons at a time, whisking throughout in between.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add in the potatoes. Turn down the heat to a simmer, stirring regularly, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender. About 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and allow the milk to cook through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Top with cheddar cheese, bacon, and diced scallions. Enjoy!
Other great soups perfect for the fall and winter months