This Crispy Brussels Sprouts recipe is such an easy and fast to prepare side dish that will have your whole family loving brussels sprouts. This recipe is great for a weeknight dinner, and delicious enough to serve at a holiday! Make these crispy roasted brussels sprouts to serve with oven fried fish recipe or baked chicken tenders. Or put them on the holiday table next to the roasted honey glazed carrots and roasted baby potatoes.
Do you guys remember the other day when I posted that roasted potato recipe and talked about the parade of side dishes coming your way? Well, I squeaked one more out for you! And this parmesan crispy brussels sprouts recipe is actually easy enough that you could make it tomorrow for Thanksgiving and everyone will be so impressed and certain that you planned it this way all along.
Spoiler alert: This is exactly how I do all of life.
If you aren’t a fan of brussels sprouts, I am willing to bet that you just haven’t had them prepared well. I really love this recipe because roasting is such an easy way to caramelize vegetables and bring out their natural amazing flavors. Same deal with my Oven Roasted Asparagus. I guess what I’m trying to say is get on board with roasting, friends. ????
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY BRUSSELS SPROUTS
This recipe for roasted brussesls sprouts comes to you courtesy of the folks at America’s Test Kitchen with a couple super tiny tweaks from me. They are geniuses and my go to when I think I have an idea of how want to cook something but I need some help. This recipe works because:
- You are adding water to the brussels sprouts and creating a seal around them in the pan for the initial part of the cooking. So they are getting steamed and cooked through.
- Then you are removing the foil and letting them crisp up.
- The high temperature you are cooking them at gets this all done FAST.
- Once they are cooked, you can add whatever toppings you want to them!
After the quick cooking process, you just toss them with some sautéed garlic and red chili flakes and then a little parmesan cheese. That’s another great thing about this recipe. You could add so many different things to this recipe! If you are adding bacon or nuts, you just want to cook or brown them while the brussels sprouts are roasting.
Crispy Brussels Sprout Variations
- Feta cheese and toasted almonds
- Bacon and pecans (everyone always loves oven roasted brussel sprouts with bacon)
- Dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and goat cheese
Have a great Thanksgiving, friends!
Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts trimmed (see note)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together the brussels sprouts, 3 tablespoons olive oil, water, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place the brussels sprouts cut side down on the baking sheet. Cover the baking sheet tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 10 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for 10 to 12 more minutes or until the brussels sprouts are browned and crispy.
- While the brussels sprouts are cooking, heat the olive oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the brussels sprouts from the baking sheet to the bowl you mixed them in, and toss with the cooked garlic, red pepper flakes, and oil. Then add in the parmesan. Or top with other great toppings perfect for brussels sprouts!
Other great side dishes