This Homemade Taco Seasoning is super easy to throw together and comes in two sizes! The first size is equivalent to the taco seasoning packet you would buy in the grocery store and the second size makes a larger batch of this taco seasoning recipe so you can just keep it on hand whenever you want to make slow cooker taco chicken for Taco Tuesday or Instant Pot Taco Soup for when you need just the easiest dinner ever.
Do you have those staple items in your pantry that just kind of count on being there? Like cans of beans, or pasta, or pizza sauce . . . or taco seasoning? I have like way too many. Too many things that I count on being there so much that I will just start dinner, assuming it’s there, grab a can opener, and then reach for a can of beans that just should be there . . . and it’s not.
It’s the same with taco seasoning . . . I just assume that I have 800 packets of it, and then I’m throwing in some slow cooker taco chicken for taco night . . . nothing.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SEASONING
Well, taco seasoning is kind of the most ridiculous thing to buy, I mean you can make your own in like thirty seconds. Literally. There are tons of different versions of homemade taco seasoning out there, but I’m partial to this one. It’s simple, it’s the exact amount needed for about a pound of meat (1 ounce or 3 tablespoons), and has only a couple of ingredients!
- chili powder
- kosher salt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- cayenne pepper (vary the amount depending on the level of heat you want)
I have two sets of measurements in this recipe. One for if you want to replace a store bought packet (or one ounce) and one for if you want to make a large batch. If you make the large batch, keep in mind that you will need 3 tablespoons any time a recipe calls for a packet of taco seasoning.
DISHES YOU CAN MAKE WITH HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING
- Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Healthy Taco Salad
- Taco Turkey Burger Recipe
- Slow Cooker Spicy Taco Potatoes
- Mexican Spice Cheese Crackers
For sure our favorite way to use this recipe is to make chicken for tacos!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
To Replace One Store Bought Packet (1 ounce or 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less for less spice)
Large Batch (The equivalent of 8 store bought packets)
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/3 cup paprika
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (less for less spice)
- Mix together all the spices. 3 tablespoons is equivalent to what you would buy at the store.
Other basic recipes you need in your life: