These Healthy Meatballs are a family favorite and ready in under 30 minutes!
POST FROM FEBRUARY 2014, PHOTOS UPDATED MARCH 2017
Today I’m going to share with you the BEST healthy meatballs! They are a family favorite, we could eat them once a week every week, and best yet, they make for a dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes.
Maybe the best part? All my toddlers have called them “Meatmalls.” Okay . . . maybe that’s just the best part for me.
If you ever run into the soul of my deceased and beloved Italian Grandmother, please do not tell her about this recipe. It flies in the face of everything she was about. If you want her great meatball recipe, go here for The Best Italian Meatballs.
However! These meatballs, these healthy meatballs, are the meatballs we make all the time! They are made with nice lean ground turkey, and they are baked on a cooling rack, so that all the fat drips off, and they aren’t fried in oil. They cook up so nicely, and they are done in the oven! So that means that once you pop them in the oven, and you put a pot of water on the stove for the pasta, you are nearly home free. Nice right? Last week I went from nothing ready to this full meal on the table in under a half hour. I’ve even started this dinner and then gone for a work out while Nathan finishes it off!
Win. Win. Win.
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder not garlic salt
- 1/2 TBSP dried oregano
- 1/2 TBSP dried basil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 pounds ground Italian seasoned turkey I used Jennie-O Sweet Italian Sausages
- Preheat your oven to 375. Line a jelly pan with tin foil and set a cooling rack on top of it.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and cheese.
- Add the ground turkey (casings removed). Mix together until throughly combined.
- Roll into into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls and set on the cooling rack (I got about 24 meatballs out of it).
- Bake for 15 minutes. Pick one of the meatballs in the middle of the batch and cut it in half to make sure that it is no longer pink inside.
You might also like