This Healthy Potato Salad Recipe is a lighter twist on your favorite that you can feel great about! Make it again and again, everyone will love it!
So . . . . . I’m on a kick to try to lose weight. ????
I blame my husband, really. He has been working out like a mad man. I mean, like up early early early in the morning to go for a run, biking to work, and then going for another bike ride too. It’s bananas. But, at the risk of grossing out my children reading this at some point in the future, just harmlessly looking for their mom’s potato salad recipe . . .
He looks foxy.
He even got hit on by a girl who looked like she was young enough to be our daughter. I actually almost told her how embarrassed she should be.
Trying to lose weight in summer isn’t fun. I mean, it’s never fun. But in summer you are drinking big pitchers of sangria and eating all of the taco pasta salad you can get your little hands on. The struggle has never been more real.
So. I’m here today with a healthy potato salad recipe. I know. I’m even rolling my eyes at myself. But to be fair, it’s really really good, and it is lighter than your typical potato salad.
WHAT’S IN THIS HEALTHY POTATO SALAD RECIPE?
- Creamer Potatoes – small little potatoes that work perfectly in this salad.
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Light Mayonnaise – anyone else think of Joey from Friends when they hear light mayo? No? Just me then.
- Non Fat Plain Yogurt
LIGHTEN UP THE SAUCE IN THIS EASY POTATO SALAD RECIPE
The key to this recipe is the dressing!
It’s such a simple recipe, but swapping out all the mayonnaise for some light mayo and some non fat yogurt cut out a lot of the calories. And you won’t even miss them. The seasonings in this and the creaminess of the potatoes make up for it.
If you wanted to cut the calories even more, you could hard boil one more egg and remove the yolks from the eggs before throwing them in in the salad, just using the egg whites.
OTHER LIGHT RECIPES FOR PICNICS
As I said, eating light in the summer is HARD. Especially with all the fun BBQs and picnics that you get invited to. Here are some additional recipes that are perfect to bring to potlucks so you know there are some healthy recipes available.
- This Easy Beet Salad is only THREE ingredients. Its satisfying but also a dish you can feel good about!
- This Greek Orzo Pasta Salad is full of delicious and healthy ingredients and great for summer.
- If you haven’t jumped on the healthy quinoa train yet, do it with this Greek Quinoa Salad.
- And these Baked Zucchini Fries are the perfect side dish!
Healthy Potato Salad
- 3 pounds small creamer potatoes cut in half
- 2 hard boiled eggs (see notes)
- 2 scallions diced about 1 inch into the green
- 2 celery stalks trimmed and diced
- 1 cup non fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablesppoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- dash of pepper
- Cook the potatoes by boiling them in water and cooking until just fork tender. Keep an eye on them because you don't want them to over cook. Mine took about 15 minutes total.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice your vegetables and mix together the dressing whisking until fully combined.
- After the potatoes are finished cooking, allow to cool about 10 minutes, and then in a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, scallions, celery, and hard boiled eggs. Toss with the dressing.
- This salad gets better as the dressing soaks into the potatoes. Make up to 24 hours in advance and store in the refrigerator up to two days.
Other great picnic recipes