This Italian Seasoning Recipe makes a nice big batch that allows you to have it on hand anytime you want to make a great recipe. If you are asking yourself “What can I use instead of Italian Seasoning?” skip buying the Italian seasoning packet all together and just make a batch of this!
Happy Friday my friends! I have a few more great summer picnic recipes coming your way! (Did you try my Healthy Potato Salad or my Shrimp Pasta Salad yet???) The most recent one I made, my Cucumber Tomato Salad, calls for Italian Seasoning, so I wanted to make sure you had a big batch ready so you could make it.
WHAT IS ITALIAN SEASONING
Italian seasoning is sort of a cheaters way of seasoning Italian cooking. It is made up with a blend of spices and herbs that are often found in Italian cooking. Since there are many recipes out there that call for “Italian Seasoning” it is nice to have a simple recipe for it that you can throw together with the spices you already have on hand.
It is a simple and healthy way to add a lot of flavor to dishes.
WHAT’S IN ITALIAN SEASONING
Like most recipes out there, there are lots of different ways to do this recipe, but this is what I put it in it, and I think it’s amazing!
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- dried parsley
- garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- dried marjoram
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
Of those, my guess is the only one you maybe aren’t familiar with is marjoram. It’s a plant found in Southern Europe in the oregano family. It is a lot like oregano but with not quite as strong of a taste.
HOW LONG WILL ITALIAN SEASONING LAST
Because it is made primarily of dried herbs, if you use herbs that have been recently dried, it should last a year. Make sure to keep it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
BENEFITS OF MAKING YOUR OWN SEASONING MIXES
There are so many reasons I like making my own seasoning mixes, here are just a few:
- It’s cheaper! Especially if you buy your dried herbs in bulk, or even better yet, dry them out from your own herb garden.
- You can control the salt content. So many people need a low sodium diet, and this allows you to stay on top of the salt.
- You know exactly what is in it. This seasoning mix is vegan, gluten free, and keto friendly.
ITALIAN SEASONING USES
- HEALTHY VEGETABLE DIP RECIPE
- ITALIAN PESTO SLIDERS
- CROCK POT ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES
- CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD
You could also use this in my Spaghetti Sauce. You would need to take out the dried herbs and replace it with 1 teaspoon of this Italian Seasoning Mix.
Additionally, you could add 1 tablespoon to ground meat to take a dish to the next level.
Combine a 2 teaspoons with some olive oil and smother a chicken breast in it before throwing it on the grill.
Finally, add 2 teaspoons to a cup of plain bread crumbs to make Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs for my Italian Meatballs!
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
Other great seasoning mixes to keep on hand: