These Lemon Sugar Cookies are melt in your mouth good! Perfection with a delicious lemon icing.
Do you ever as a mom look back at something and think: [email protected]#!!!! How could I have missed that?!?!
That happened this week in our house.
One of our kids came to us with something they had been feeling (clearly for a while) and once he/she (identities blurred to protect the innocent) said it, I could totally see it. I could totally understand where the feelings came from and what we had done that had made it worse.
It was like being slapped in the face with this tiny cute little beautiful hand.
There were tears, snuggles, explanations, affirmations from the entire family . . . I mean, it ended well, but [email protected]#.
Sometimes raising kids feel like putting out mini fires all over the place while simultaneously herding goats. This week was definitely a fire putting out goat herding week. Piper had surgery (to have her adenoids and tonsils out) and her recovery has been awful. I’m not sure why it is going so different than with the other two kids (they both had theirs out as toddlers as well) but it is. And go figure, it’s not like the other two are able to just take care of themselves suddenly. Weird, right?
So thank goodness for these lemon cookies. Mainly because I made them a few weeks ago and I had them just waiting to share with you, but ALSO because they are flipping amazing.
Perfectly Lemon Sugar Cookies
They are soft, perfectly lemony and sort of make all of your troubles go away. Magical, right? They start out with this Perfect Sugar Cookie recipe but we just switch out the vanilla for lemon extract. I made them the first time with lemon juice and I didn’t love the outcome. This version keeps the cookies perfectly soft on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside. And then we top them with a really simple and really delicious white chocolate lemon glaze. You can skip that if you like, but it’s perfect.
If you’ve never made one of my cookie recipes before, here are some tips that help make them perfect.
Lemon Sugar Cookies Tips and Tricks
- Your butter has to be room temperature. You should be able to push your finger into it and make a small dent but not go all the way through. Want to make that go faster? Cut your butter up into 1 inch pieces and leave it on the counter for a half hour.
- Your eggs also need to be room temperature. Want that to go faster? Fill a bowl with luke warm water and leave them in there for a few minutes.
- It’s really important to measure your flour correctly. Scoop the flour into the measuring cup and level it off. If you scoop right out of your flour container using your measuring cup, you will end up with significantly more flour.
- Make sure you cream your butter and sugar together for at least three minutes. It needs to not just be mixed, it needs to be light and fluffy. The sugar actually beats air into the butter and that’s key in baking.
- Your pans can’t be hot. If you are baking in batches and need to use your baking pans more than once, you need to make sure that they have cooled before you put more dough on them. You can make this happen fast by just running them under cold water and drying them off. Speaking of pans, I love these! And I love using these with them (pictured above).
- This isn’t essential, but I find that using a scoop helps to keep all your cookies the same size, for consistent baking and it also makes the process of getting the cookies into ball form so much faster! I love this scoop.
Lemon Sugar Cookies Recipe:
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- For Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 TBSPS butter 1 3/4 stick at room temperature
- 2 tsps lemon extract
- 2 large eggs
- For Icing
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tsps milk
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With your mixer on medium, mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs (one at a time) and then the lemon extract until well combined.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture until well combined, with your mixer set to low. Scrape down the paddle and the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Roll the dough into one inch sized balls. (Optional: Roll in sugar) Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or silicon mat and press down slightly. Space the cookies about two inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking. (I baked mine in three batches)
- Let cool on the pan for about two minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- After cookies have cooled, melt the icing ingredients together in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between. Melt until smooth. Drizzle over cookies and allow to cool.
If you loved these lemon sugar cookies, you’ll love:
I can’t wait to make the BEST Lemon Bars from Your Homebased Mom.
The filing on this Lemon Burst Poke Cake from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen is totally dreamy!
This No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake from Spend with Pennies looks so easy and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links, if you click on them and then make a purchase, I make a small amount of money at no additional cost to you. Thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.