Depending on where you dwell, you’re probably feeling some effects of solstice heat; from the tranquil breezes of the Northwest to the downright oppressive swelter of the South. Wherever you may roam this summer, this crisp, grapefruit flavored, low-calorie Paloma Cocktail easy to make and quenches summertime thirst like no other!
An all-time favorite in Mexico, a Paloma Cocktail is like a bubbly margarita! So if you’re needing a break from the traditional margarita or you want to experiment more with tequila drinks, this Paloma recipe is just the cocktail to try this summer. Mimosa Margaritas are a fun twist too.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE THE PERFECT PALOMA?
The two main ingredients in a traditional Paloma recipe are tequila and grapefruit, yet the sky’s the limit to the variations!
Make sure that you start by grabbing a high quality tequila.
Depending on how sweet you like it, you can use grapefruit soda like Fresca or Squirt in place of the sparkling water. But for this gloriously gorgeous cocktail I mixed in a little La Croix’s grapefruit sparkling water. It kept the grapefruit flavor front and center, while slicing out several of those pesky calories. Looking for more grapefruit flavored cocktails? Try this Grapefruit Champagne Cocktail or Skinny Grapefruit Margarita, a low-calorie favorite.
HOW TO MAKE A PALOMA COCKTAIL:
- To make this recipe the perfect combination of sweet and tart, start with a couple ounces of mezcal or silver tequila.
- Add that to a glass with one ounce of lime juice.
- Then a couple ounces of grapefruit juice (either fresh squeezed or from a can)
- Finally, add your choice of Squirt, Diet Squirt, La Croix or just plain sparkling water.
- Mix to combine, then pour in a tall glass full of crushed ice.
Your Paloma can be as strong or as weak as you want it to be, depending on how much soda you add. But no matter what, this fruity, fizzy drink goes down smooth and is simple to whip up anytime! Enjoy!
If you make this, I’d love to know what you think! Leave me a comment below!
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 3 ounces sparkling grapefruit juice see note
- Combine all the ingredients and strain into a glass full of crushed ice.