Gavin has been taking gymnastics for a few years now, and up until recently he really loved it. Like was pumped for it each week. He was pretty good too, with his compact little Italian body. And then . . . he got bumped up a level. And suddenly it’s a struggle for him. Now he wants to quit.
I’m torn between letting him quit, because honestly I could do without the weekly meltdowns about it, and making him stick it out. Not everything in life is going to come easy for him, and he needs to get used to that.
Recently I’ve decided to update some of the photos of older recipes. I have some great recipes buried here, but I hate sharing them because the pictures make me shudder. So I mentioned this to Gavin, how not everything comes super easily right away, even the things we like, like photography and gymnastics. I told him that I had recently rephotographed this soup, one of his favorites, and being the mama’s boy that he is, he said, “Mom. I’m sure both sets of photos are great!”
So I pulled up the ones you are seeing now, and these ones.
He said, “Ummmm . . . okay. These new ones are better.”
We are sticking it out with gymnastics.
This soup really is one of our favorites. When I made this batch and told Gavin it was what we were having for dinner, I got a fist pump. It’s very forgiving and versatile. I’ve swapped out the kale for spinach. I’ve skipped the red pepper flakes entirely when I wasn’t sure that my kids could deal. I’ve forgotten the beans. I’ve put in less mushrooms. I’ve added gluten free noodles. I’ve totally forgotten the garlic. I’ve put in four cups of chicken stock instead of six. All good. All gobbled up. And the left overs are awesome.
Just don’t sub kidney beans. That was the one time this soup revolted against us, lol.
Made in one pot and done in less than 30 minutes, loaded with veggie, protein, and flavor, I mean, what’s not to love?
Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1.22 lb. package of Jennie-o Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage casings removed
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 4 cups chopped kale large stems removed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup penne noodles
- 15 oz can Northern Beans drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat, spray with olive oil, and cook sausage until no longer pink, between five and seven minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and mushrooms, breaking up the mushrooms as you add them. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about five minutes.
- Toss in the kale and cook until the kale is bright green, about three minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, and bring it to a boil. Then add the noodles and cook about a minute shy of the package directions.
- Toss in the beans, and stir in until they heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Soup from friends
You might also like