The Secret to the Perfect Pizza Dough Recipe! Easy to follow step by step photos that will give you the perfect pizza dough! And if the pictures aren’t enough to help you out, I have a video that shows the whole process. Read the reviews on this recipe, you will never use another pizza crust recipe! We love using this recipe when making our favorite meat lover’s pizza or even just for this bbq chicken pizza roll! It’s a great recipe to have on hand!
I’ve been wanting to write this post forever! So this summer, one of our favorite meals was homemade pizza on the grill. I would make the dough in the afternoon and just let it sit, and then in the evening, the pizza would take about 20 minutes on the grill. It was such an easy delicious dinner! And I know I don’t get all let’s do this homemade on you very often, but when it comes to pizza dough, I really do like homemade so much more!
THE SECRET TO THE BEST PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE
So here is the secret to making your perfect pizza dough at home, water temperature.
Yup. That’s it. You just have to make sure that your water is in the zone. I’m not going to tell you how many seconds to microwave it, because water comes out of the faucet/fridge tap at different temperatures and microwaves all work differently. You really need to use a thermometer. If the water isn’t hot enough, it won’t wake up the yeast. If it is too hot it will kill the yeast. If it is in the window, it will bubble up just perfectly. Believe me, I wasted lots of dough before my mom, fed up with my phone calls to her about why it wasn’t working, just gave me her thermometer 🙂
You need your water to be between 110 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
I use our thermometer every single time, and it makes life so simple! There are even little markers on on my thermometer showing the window! This thermometer is from like the 70s and I doubt you’ll be able to find another just like it, but a candy thermometer will work just as well.
Once you get it in the temperature window (and sometimes I have had to dump my water and start over), you add 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast and one teaspoon of sugar. You don’t really have to stir, it will work it’s way in.
And you just let it sit for like five minutes until it is nice and frothy on the top.
If it doesn’t look like the picture below after you let it sit for five minutes, I would dump it and start over.
In the bowl of a food processor, mix together three cups of all purpose flour and 1 tsp of Kosher salt. Now add the water yeast mixture and then 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil.
Spray a large bowl with cooking spray, and then drop in your dough. (You know my favorite bowl, right?) Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for at least one hour, but two is better.
Your dough should have doubled in size. I pull it apart and use it to make two different crusts. I store the extra crust in the refrigerator . . . and we get to have pizza again tomorrow night too! When pulling the crust out the next day, just make sure to bring it to room temperature for about 5 to 10 minutes before you start working with it.
Now that you know how to make the best pizza dough, you can top it with some easy homemade pizza sauce and make your favorite pizza! Whip up a simple side salad while you cook your pizza on the grill and sip on a glass of sangria.
TIPS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE TURN OUT PERFECT
- As mentioned above, you really need to make sure that your water is the right temperature. After a while of making this recipe, you will be able to do it without the thermometer.
- Once you add the yeast and sugar, leave it for five minutes and wait for your yeast to proof. If it isn’t nice and frothy like the picture above, dump it and start over.
- When measuring the flour for this recipe, make sure to scoop the flour into the cup and level off. If you scoop right from the flour container, you might end up with more flour.
- If your dough isn’t coming together well (because maybe you did add a little too much flour -oops!), add a tiny bit of warm water, just a few teaspoons at a time until it comes together.
WATCH ME MAKE THIS PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE
The Secret To Perfect Pizza Dough
The Secret to the Perfect Pizza Dough Recipe! Easy to follow step by step photos that will give you the perfect pizza dough!
- 1 cup + 1 TBSP water heated to 110 to 115 degrees
- 2 1/4 tsps active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Heat water to between 110 and 115 degrees.
- Sprinkle 2 1/4 tsps active dry yeast over the water. Then sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar over the yeast. Let it sit until the water has become frothy. If it doesn't froth as pictured above, dump your water and start again.
- In the bowl of a food processor add three cups all purpose flower and salt. Pulse for a few seconds to evenly distribute the salt.
- With the food processor running, add the oil. Then add the yeast water combination with the food processor still running until a dough ball forms.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Put the dough ball in and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to double in size, about an hour to an hour and a half.
- Pull the dough apart to create two dough balls for two pizza crusts.
And now you can make my favorite pizza!