Spicy Sausage and Tortellini Soup | A super delicious and comforting one pot dinner!
So, we survived Quinn’s surgery.
To come home to a kid with the stomach flu.
I had this moment where I thought that I should definitely keep the two of them apart. And then they were hugging. Very sweet. I probably won’t think it’s as sweet when Quinn is puking. But hopefully at that point she will have recovered for the most part.
So we spent most of our weekend negotiating who’s turn it was to pick the movie, making plain noodles, and dolling out clear juice.
At least they were on the same diet all of the sudden.
See? There’s always a bright side, lol.
I am definitely in need of comfort food at this point. (Thank goodness I’m not limited to plain noodles and clear juice.) And this Spicy Sausage and Tortellini Soup is totally my idea of comfort food. It has all the delicious flavors that I love. The tomatoes and the chicken stock combine perfectly in this soup to make the most flavor base. And then the sausage and tortellini make it a nice and hearty soup that is perfect for dinner. Want to serve it up with some bread? Try the Three Ingredient Beer Bread pictured with the soup! It’s so easy, you can pop it in just before you start the soup and it will be all ready to go with your dinner!
Okay, off to take temperatures, poor juice, and dispense pain meds!
Spicy Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 2 TBSPs olive oil
- 3 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1.25 pounds spicy Italian sausage I used Jennie-O Hot Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 TBSP dried basil
- 1/2 TBSP dried oregano
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Parmesan cheese optional
- 1 lb frozen tortellini
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots and the garlic until the carrots are soft.
- Add the sausage to the pan, and break up into bit size pieces. Continue cooking until no longer pink.
- Add the red pepper flakes, basil, and oregano. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then add the tortellini, cooking according to the instructions on the bag.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and enjoy.
You might also like
Hearty Turkey Chili