If I had to summarize some of my favorite things about warmer months, they would go as follows: margaritas, sangria, margaritas, frozen fruity cocktails, and… oh! margaritas! And with this Sweet and Sour Mix, your summertime margaritas will be the hit of every barbecue, beach day, or late night patio chats.
Whipping up a big batch of your favorite margaritas will be a cinch thanks to this fresh, homemade Sweet and Sour Mix. It’s the secret to the Best Margarita Recipe.
SO WHAT IS SWEET AND SOUR MIX?
This is basically a lemon-lime simple syrup, combining sugar and water with lime and lemon juice. It will perk up many of your favorite cocktails, especially margaritas and can be made in minutes. Try it with this Midori Sour Recipe or this fruity Tropical Margarita Sangria.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SWEET AND SOUR MIX
- Start with a couple big cups of granulated sugar.
- Add a cup of water and simmer over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Next, add half a cup each of fresh lemon and lime juice. You’ll need about seven plump lemons and limes. Hint: microwave your fruit for about ten seconds and then roll on the counter with your hand to get those juices flowing.
- Your Sweet and Sour Mix is now ready! You can store it in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week, or even longer in the freezer.
Sweet and Sour Mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice about 7 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- Simmer 2 cups of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar over medium heat until it is fully dissolved.
- Pour it into a jar and let it come to room temperature.
- Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1/2 cup lime juice.
- Store it in a sealed container for a week or for up to a month in the freezer.
Need another how to?