This is the BEST Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Make this easy buttercream frosting recipe and you’ll never want cake without vanilla buttercream again. Or spoons. I’m not even kidding. We love using this recipe on all sorts of cookies and cakes, but my absolute favorite is on tope of these perfect sugar cookies!
You guys have to make this vanilla buttercream frosting recipe.
Okay, not really.
But yes. Really.
So this is a frosting recipe that I first made for these adorable sheep cupcakes. And I made it again for Piper’s cake smash. But it is seriously so ridiculously good that I feel like it deserved it’s own post.
So ironically, my sister in law sent me a text message the day before the sheep post went live and asked me if I had a good vanilla frosting recipe. And I said, “Funny you should ask . . . ” A few weeks later I got this message from her:
“I LOVE it! It makes boxed cake mixes taste like they were made in a bakery. It puts homemade cakes off the charts!”
I love her. 🙂
If that testimonial wasn’t enough, yesterday while I was photographing this cake, Gavin asked me if he could have a piece when I was done. Who am I to say no to that cute face? Gavin historically loves cake but doesn’t like frosting at all. Which is just crazy, but kind of awesome because I always get his left over frosting at birthday parties. #dontjudge
Well, I walked back into the kitchen after giving him some cake and he was eating the frosting!! I said, “Gavin! I thought you didn’t like frosting!”
“I don’t. But, Mom. This vanilla frosting is AMAZING!!”
Best Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe Notes:
- One batch of this vanilla buttercream frosting recipe is enough to lightly cover 24 cupcakes. I needed to double it to frost a three layer cake, with 1/2 cup frosting between each layer and a nice crumb coat.
- This frosting firms up rather quickly, so if you are going to top with sprinkles, you will want to frost your cupcake add the sprinkles, and then move on to the next cupcake you need to frost.
- If you don’t like your frosting as sweet, you can cut back the powdered sugar by a cup. It will result in a less sweet and also less firm frosting.
The BEST Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
This is the BEST Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Make this easy buttercream frosting recipe and you'll never want cake without vanilla buttercream again.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- To make frosting, beat the butter until fluffy.
- Then add the powdered sugar gradually, one cup at a time.
- Add in the vanilla and milk.
Other frostings you HAVE to try: