This Zucchini Sheet cake, smothered with chocolate frosting, is the perfect dessert! So delicious and feeds a crowd!
Do you guys remember two weeks or so ago when I shared that delicious Desert Wasteland Whiskey Cocktail and told you about flying off to see my dear good friend who is living in said desert wasteland? Well this past weekend was the weekend!
You guys. Never in my young life did I think I would be traveling this much. I was a social worker. There really is no travel in that. And then I was a stay at home mom . . . the travel involved in that is going to Target at least once a week so that you don’t lose your mind. And now. And NOW I’m a blogger. When I started this little hobby blog five plus years ago, I had no idea it would turn into this business that has me flying all over the country, going to conferences, traveling with clients and brands, etc. But it does! And I’m turning into like a pro traveler. *pats self on the back* I have gotten on six flights in the last year. Almost all of them have been really early and I’ve had to set my alarm for like 4 something in the morning. No problem. Proooooo traveler.
You guys. This past weekend? I set my alarm wrong!!! I don’t know what happened. All I can figure is that the children are slowly stealing my brain cells one by one. You know what I didn’t program wrong? My coffee maker. Because. Coffee. The smell of my coffee brewing at 4:40 legit woke me up and I got up at the *exact minute* I had tried to set my alarm for. Thank you coffee gods!
I’m so happy you guys trust me with your desserts even though I am completely not trust worthy when it comes to setting alarms. Apparently.
Ridiculous Zucchini Sheet Cake
This Zucchini Sheet Cake is ridiculous. It’s easy enough to make, makes a nice big cake that serves a crowd. I made this for my family when we celebrated my dear dad’s 80th (yes 80th!) birthday. And yes, we did put 80 candles on it.
Everyone loved it! My tiny sister in laws who look like they don’t know what chocolate is each had two pieces and took more home. And my sweet 10 year old nephew ate a HUGE piece and then asked me what was in it. I wish I could show you guys his face when I told him it was made of zucchini. It was pure horror. I loved it.
Zucchini Sheet Cake Tips:
I have gotten questions about other zucchini recipes if I squeeze the moisture out of my zucchini, like in this Caramel Zucchini Poke Cake. And the answer is no. If there is no instruction to squeeze out the zucchini, don’t do it. The recipe was designed to tolerate the moisture from it. You’ll be good.
The chocolate frosting on here is a really simple recipe that I found in conjunction with this Texas Sheet Cake Recipe. It was perfect on this cake, but this cake is flexible and it would also be really delicious with The Best Cream Cheese Frosting or some lemon frosting.
Zucchini Sheet Cake Recipe
Zucchini Sheet Cake
- For the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsps cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 pound zucchini grated finely (about three medium zucchini)
- For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup of butter melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a jelly roll pan by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together in a large bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- Whisk the eggs and sugars together in a large bowl until the sugars are just about dissolved. Now add the oil about a half a cup at a time and whisk in until it’s combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture. Stir in the zucchini. Pour into the pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Beat together the butter, milk, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Gently spread over the sheet cake.
Other zucchini recipes you will love