This Bacon Spinach Salad is a family favorite recipe from my mom! Though she likely got it from someone else’s mom. It is perfect for big family functions, it’s a great potluck recipe, or just served with a great bowl of soup. Topped with bacon and hard boiled eggs, you could definitely make a meal out of this salad!
Last night as I watched my kids try to
kill each other play, I thought of my mom. I was watching them, knowing that any second it was going to go from fun “rough housing” (that makes me feel epically old) to actual murder, and remembering my mom yelling at us saying, “One of you is going to get hurt!” and then when we were older “Just don’t kill each other!” and then when we were even older “Just don’t break my house!”
The struggle of motherhood is sometimes a little too real.
For the record, our evening did in fact end in tears, and once again it was proven that mothers know all and see all.
SPINACH SALAD RECIPE
Another time my mom knew all was in the making of this amazing Bacon Spinach Salad recipe. This is one of those recipes that you think is a family treasure, and then you go to Google to figure out how to name it . . . . and learn that literally everyone and their mother has been making it for years.
It is still delicious.
My family often asks me to bring this to family gatherings because it brings back such good memories and it is delicious.
- It is topped with hard boiled eggs which gives it the vibe of a great Cobb Salad.
- It has bean sprouts and crunchy water chestnuts, which you would never grab at the grocery store when thinking of making a salad, but it totally works here.
- Bacon. Enough said.
- It is filling enough that it could be a meal for four on it’s own, but it would also work as a great side dish served next to something like this easy chicken marsala recipe or a great steak. This spinach salad recipe is also perfect to bring to a big potluck or family gathering.
My mom’s hand written recipe is below. You can tell it’s been well loved. I just love her hand writing.
SPINACH SALAD DRESSING
The dressing for this salad is pretty crucial. It is all the right flavor combinations to make this the perfect salad. It is a combination of extra virgin olive oil, ketchup, Worcheschire sauce, sugar, vinegar, and a small onion. Seriously, this salad would not be what it is without this dressing.
Bacon Spinach Salad
Spinach Salad Dressing
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 small white onion grated (see note)
Bacon Spinach Salad
- 2 5 ounce bags baby spinach steams removed
- 1 15 ounce can bean sprouts drained
- 1 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 pound bacon cooked, and crumbled
- 2 cups croutons
- To make the salad dressing, combine all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large salad bowl. Either add a small amount of dressing and toss to combine (adding the croutons after the dressing), or serve the dressing on the side.
Other great salad recipes you are going to love!
This post contains affiliate links, if you click on them and then make a purchase, I make a small amount of money at no additional cost to you. Thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.