Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins that are so soft and moist. They are going to become a go to recipe in your house!
CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD AS MUFFINS
One of my most popular recipes is my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. It has a viral video on FB and people love how simple it is to make. But! I have had so many people ask me if it can be made as muffins.
With a few small tweaks we have delicious banana chocolate chip muffins!
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
It only takes 20 minutes of hands on time and 20 minutes in the oven to make these delicious chocolate chip banana bread muffins.
Start by combining all of your dry ingredients in one bowl. That is the flour, baking soda and salt. For this recipe we are calling sugar a wet ingredient because it will dissolve into those ingredients beautifully.
In another bowl combine the sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract, and of course the bananas.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and then stir in the chocolate chips.
Fill your muffin cups 2/3 of the way full. You should have 18 muffin cups filled. Under filled cups will result in muffins that get over cooked.
TIPS AND TRICKS
There are a few things that make this recipe work really well.
Make sure you scoop and level your flour. This means using a spoon to scoop the flour from it’s container into the measuring cup and then leveling it off. This prevents you from getting too much flour.
Use bananas that are very ripe. In other words, they are very speckled with brown spots at a minimum. Resist the urge to ripen bananas in the oven. This will make them soft, but will not bring out the sugar in them, resulting in moist but not very sweet muffins.
Use either yogurt or sour cream. They are interchangeable in this recipe, but is necessary that you use one of the two. This recipe works because the acid in the yogurt/sour cream activates the baking soda.
Top with more chocolate chips. Pull a few extra chocolate chips out of the bag and throw them on top of the muffins before putting them in the oven. It will give them a gorgeous look when they are done.
HOW TO STORE MUFFINS
These muffins will keep for up to 5 days if stored in an air tight container. For best results, don’t stack them in the container.
HOW TO FREEZE MUFFINS
Muffins are a great thing to freeze. I like freezing my Zucchini Muffins and then pulling them out the day before school to thaw and send with Piper for snack.
To freeze these banana chocolate chip muffins, make sure they have cooled completely. Put them in the freezer on a wax paper lined baking sheet or tray for 20 minutes. Take them out of the freezer and put them in a sealable container and back into the freezer for up to three months.
When you want to eat them let them thaw for 12 – 24 hours. Alternatively put the frozen muffin in the microwave for 30 second intervals at half power until thawed.
At just under 300 calories a muffin these banana chocolate chip muffins make an easy addition to breakfast for my kiddos.
OTHER GREAT RECIPES
If your family loves these banana chocolate chip muffins, here are more recipes they are going to love:
- My Apple Carrot Zucchini Muffins are always a big hit!
- Your family will love my Cinnamon Apple Bread.
- And this Zucchini Banana Bread is so moist and delicious.
If you make these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (spooned into measuring cups and leveld off)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas (see note)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs at room temperature & lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners or use a silicon muffin tin, sprayed lightly with cooking spray
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt until very well combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the bananas, sugar, oil, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Add the batter to the prepared muffin tins, filling each one 2/3 full. The batter should divide evenly to make 18 muffins
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown around the edges and a toothpick in the middle of a muffin in the middle of the pan comes out with just a few crumbs. Remove from the oven, and once cool to the touch remove the muffins from the tin.
- Allow the muffins to come to room temperature. Store in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.