This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is made completely from scratch and tastes just like what you would get at a restaurant. It’s delicious, full of flavor and is going to be your new favorite soup recipe. If you bought extra broccoli, make this broccoli cheddar cauliflower tator tot recipe to go with it. This apple pecan fall salad would be great on the side with it. And if you need a bread to dip in, look no further than this three ingredient beer bread!
I’m so proud to be partnering with Horizon to bring you this amazing soup recipe! We love Horizon and can eat their white cheddar endlessly. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Wine & Glue possible.
Can I tell you guys something? My three year old has my heart in a vice grip.
I have been traveling so much for work lately and every single time I go, I can tell that it’s a real struggle for Piper. There was one trip recently where I made the huge mistake of telling her I was leaving in the morning . . . .right before I put her to bed. Cue her yelling from her bed: “I. DO. NOT. WANT. MOM. TO. LEAVE.”
Heart. In. A. Vice.
And now that I’m back for a looooooong while, she is all about mom. Yesterday she looked at me randomly and, “Can you just hug me?”
I can’t even you guys. I mean, I complain about her a lot, mainly just because she is three and we all know that three year olds are . . . . . just the worst. But she is becoming more and more fun every day, and also . . . .
Heart in a vice.
So after some time apart, both she and I need some comfort food, and this Broccoli Cheddar Soup totally does the trick. It starts with some Horizon butter, and it is made extra creamy with Horizon half and half, Horizon Whole Milk, and the most amazing Horizon white cheddar that melts in just perfectly. It comes together easily and quickly and you are going to want to make it again and again.
TIPS TO MAKE THIS SOUP WORK PERFECTLY
- When adding the flour to the butter/vegetable mixture, make sure that you fully whisk in the flour and toast it a bit.
- When you first add in the chicken stock, be sure to do so very slowly. You want to incorporate the liquid to the roux (the flour butter mixture) a little at a time so that it fully joins it and you don’t see clumps of butter/flour and then chicken stock.
- When you are simmering the soup to cook the broccoli fully, you really need to keep the soup on very low. The last thing you want to do is scorch it.
- You want to remove the soup from the heat when you go to stir in the cheddar.
- I can’t urge enough how important it is to use the block cheddar in this. You want to shred it yourself. Even though it is a tiny bit more work, it is what melts into the soup best and gives you the best texture.
If you are looking for more great comforting soups, my family loves stuffed peppers, so I can’t wait to try this stuffed pepper soup. I’m loving this chicken fajita soup and this green goddesss immune boosting soup seems perfect for cold and flu season!
For more great comforting recipes, be sure to follow Horizon on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. And Horizon is all about weird when it comes to kids (which is great, because I’m raising the weirdest kids ever), just not weird when it comes to their food. Check out the cutest video about out here.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup Horizon Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups Horizon Whole Milk
- 2 cups Horizon Half and Half
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups broccoli cut small
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups Horizon White Cheddar shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook until soft, about three to four minutes.
- Add flour and and stir to combine.
- Very slowly pour in the chicken stock, then the milk, then the half and half. Add the nutmeg and then season with salt and pepper. Taste and make adjustments as necessary to the seasonings.
- Stir in the broccoli, cover, and reduce the head to low. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the broccoli is soft and tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheddar. Serve immediately.
For more great recipes using Horizon products, make sure you check out
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon. The opinions and text are all mine.