This Broccoli Rice Casserole is such an easy and delicious side dish. With just 5 minutes of prep time it is perfect for a weeknight meal. Yet the delicious and rich flavor of this broccoli cheese rice casserole makes it the perfect side for ham or top round roast beef recipe at a holiday meal.
Hello and welcome to Wednesday and my weird little corner of the internet! Today I am busily trying to create a few recipes before I run off to the other side of town and sit in a room full of social workers who are listening to someone talk about ethics and trying to earn continuing education credits. There is a responsible woman in her mid 50’s inside of me who won’t let my social work credentials lapse in case the internet implodes on itself. She kind of sucks.
BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE
Anyway! While I’m doing that, I’m going to leave you to munch on this amazing broccoli and rice casserole. Towards the middle of December I got this weird idea that I was going to post a recipe every.single.day until Christmas. I think I made it to the 20th and then I passed out from sheer exhaustion. So this is one of those recipes that got photographed but didn’t get posted. I’m pretty sure I ate a sugar cookie and took a nap instead.
This is another recipe, like the Baked Brussel Sprouts Casserole and the Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies, that I found in my grandmother’s church cookbook. It’s a classic. I’m sure your own grandmother made you cheese broccoli rice casserole at one point or another. I love that it is delicious enough for a holiday meal. The good news for you is this broccoli rice casserole recipe is great for a weeknight too!
HOW DO YOU MAKE BROCCOLI CHEESE AND RICE CASSEROLE?
- Cook an onion in a little butter, then add some frozen broccoli.
- Mix all of your other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the onion and broccoli with the other ingredients, pour them into a casserole dish.
- Top with fried onions and bake!
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR BROCCOLI CASSEROLE?
- frozen broccoli
- salt and pepper
- cream of chicken soup
- instant rice
- fried onions
CAN I USE SOMETHING BESIDES FRIED ONIONS ON TOP?
Yes! The original recipe called for breadcrumbs. So you can have it with those, or you could skip a topping all together. I personally love fried onions and have been known to hide in my pantry and eat them . . . leaving none left for the best scalloped potatoes.
DO I HAVE TO USE INSTANT RICE IN THIS BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE?
Yes! I am sure there is a version of this out there that does not use instant rice. If you are going to use this recipe with these amounts of liquids, you really need to stick to instant rice.
GREAT RECIPES TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE
Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 14 ounces frozen broccoli
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fried onions
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the onion, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broccoli, and cook until no longer frozen, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli and onion mixture with the seasoning, cream of chicken soup, milk, rice, and cheese. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the fried onions. Put into the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
You might also like: