This Chicken Noodle Casserole recipe is the BEST! It comes together with all the flavors of homemade chicken noodle soup but in a delicious cheesy chicken noodle casserole. This cheesy chicken noodle casserole recipe is the definition of comfort food!
I’ve received so much amazing feedback on this post! If you are looking for even more easy delicious recipes, follow me on Instagram @lisawineandglue!
Hello from Iowa, my friends! I’m sitting in the most fun hotel in Des Moines, Iowa, waiting to board a bus with a bunch of great food bloggers and explore Iowa farms and learn all about corn farming. This is my second year here (you can grab a delicious slow cooker bacon potato corn chowder recipe and read all about my trip last year here). I am super excited!
Before I head out for the day, I wanted to share this delicious chicken egg noodle casserole with you! Ya’ll are HUGE fans of my homemade chicken noodle soup recipe. Every time I share it on social media I get so many people tagging each other with requests to make it. It is so sweet and also . . . you guys love yourselves some chicken noodle! It must be because it reminds everyone of being taken care of.
THIS CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE IS THE PERFECT DISH TO BRING TO A FRIEND
I love this recipe so much and for so many different reasons, but a huge reason is because it makes the perfect dish to bring to a sick friend or someone who just had a baby or just someone who needs some extra love. You can prep the whole thing and then bring them a delicious casserole and they can throw it into the oven when they are ready.
This also makes it a perfect easy weeknight meal! I like prepping this after the kiddos are in bed, and then the next night I can just throw it in the oven for about 30 minutes and we have a delicious home cooked meal!
WHAT MAKES THIS CHICKEN AND NOODLE CASSEROLE THE BEST
- I cooked my noodles in chicken broth, which really deepens the flavor of this casserole. I also threw a bay leaf in for a little something extra.
- I then reserved some of that starchy chicken broth to make a great base for this casserole and give in an extra creamy quality.
- I used egg noodles in this recipe, which work great with the chicken broth, but also are perfect for the rest of the recipe. Some of my kids don’t like egg noodles, but they LOVED them in this recipe!
- I added a lot of seasoning to this recipe. I feel like spices and herbs are the key to a great home cooked meal.
- Finally, CHEESE. This recipe has a lot of cheese in it. Like I said, comfort food. 😉
VARIATIONS ON THIS CREAMY CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE
- If you don’t like egg noodles, use your favorite pasta! This recipe is actually a bigger version of my chicken noodle soup casserole that so many people have loved for years, and I use fusilli in that recipe.
- This recipe uses a pretty standard onion, carrot, celery mixture, but if that is not your jam, then sub in things like peas and mushrooms!
- My family can’t deal with a thick layer of cheese on top, but I know that’s how some of you like your casseroles (just look at how popular my Philly Cheese Steak Casserole is). If your family wants more cheese, pile it on there! Just make sure to wait to add it until right before baking.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 16 ounces egg noodles cooked in chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth reserved from cooking the noodles (see note 1)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken about three small chicken breasts
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella divided (see note 2)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in chicken stock with two bay leaves thrown into the water according to package directions. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Drain and set aside. Note the instructions on the egg noodles for using in a casserole, you will likely need to cut the boiling time by half.
- Melt the butter over medium low heat in a large sauce pan. Add the celery, onion, carrots and garlic to the pan. Cook until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Add the flour to the pan, mixing it in to make a paste. Very slowly add the reserved cooking stock. Approximately a tablespoon of stock at a time, waiting until the last bit of stock was completely combined before adding the next bit.
- Now slowly add the milk.
- Once all the milk is mixed in, add the parsley and basil. Then season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken, cooked noodles, and one and a half cups of the cheese. Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish and top with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until your desired level of cheese browning.
- Note: If you would like to make this casserole the night before, follow all the steps up until adding the second half of the cheese. Cover and put in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator while the oven preheats. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 35 minutes.
- If cooking egg noodles in chicken broth seems extravagant or like an added cost you don't want, you can skip it OR, you can buy chicken stock base. It's a much more cost effective way to use chicken broth. One small jar yields a lot of chicken broth.
- If you are making this recipe the night before make sure to only use half the cheese while cooking. Save the other half of the cheese for topping the casserole right before you put it in the oven.
Other great home cooked dinners your family will fall in love with!