This Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta Recipe is going to be your new favorite weeknight night meal! Made with homemade cajun seasoning, delicious shrimp, creamy sauce, and penne noodles, it comes together in a snap. Based on my Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta, which has been a huge hit, this one is even easier!
We did it! We survived summer!
My kids, happily, had their first day of school yesterday and I generously saved my cheering for after the bus pulled away so they wouldn’t see.
Because I’m a nice mom like that.
I love those little punks so much, but my goodness, it was tiiiiiiiiiiime for them to go back to school. My oldest kiddo was so apprehensive about it and really just sad about summer coming to a close and came home beaming because he had the best day with his friends. It made my heart so happy.
The one major downside to the kids going back to school is now I need to get my game face on when it comes to dinners. We have a PACKED fall schedule with each kid in at least two activities and one kid in four. FOUR.
I’m hoping this fall I can bring you a ton of great easy weeknight meals, and we are kicking it off with this amazing and tasty Cajun Shrimp Pasta.
HOW TO COOK CAJUN SHRIMP PASTA
This creamy cajun shrimp pasta recipe is really super simple, it’s bound to become a favorite in your house.
- Toss the shrimp with cajun seasoning and olive oil. I used frozen shrimp that I thawed. I didn’t take the tails off because it makes for a prettier picture, but you probably want yours off.
- Saute the shrimp until cooked through. Remove them from the pan and then give it a quick rinse so the residual cajun seasoning doesn’t burn.
- Melt your butter and add in the garlic. The garlic needs very little time to cook. If it burns, make sure you remove it, clean the pan and start with fresh butter and garlic.
- Whisk in some flour. Then you want to very slowly add the heavy cream. The slower the better. It’s what will make the sauce nice and creamy.
- Finally melt in some cheese, add some more cajun seasoning, toss in some cooked pasta and return the shrimp to the pan. DONE.
SIDE DISHES FOR CREAMY CAJUN SHRIMP PASTA
If you are looking for a great side dish to serve with this cajun shrimp pasta recipe, I would recommend this oven roasted asparagus. I always love serving asparagus with fish (which is probably why I do it all the time for the blog like in this oven fried fish or this sheet pan lemon pepper baked cod).
This zucchini salad is super easy to prepare and would be great alongside this dish. The coolness from the veggies would pair great with the heat from the cajun seasoning.
Or this time of year, an apple bacon salad is a great option. It makes such a nice big salad and the flavors of that salad are absolutely perfect. It’s a favorite of mine.
Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound raw shrimp frozen is fine as long as you thaw it first
- 8 ounces penne pasta cooked to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- diced tomates optional
- fresh parsley optional
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. When finished, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a bowl combine the shrimp, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning. Toss to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, add the shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Give the pan a quick cleaning and return to the stove top. Over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the flour. Very slowly, whisk in the half and half. You want to just whisk in a small bit at a time, so that you can create a roux. If you whisk in too much at a time you won't get a nice creamy sauce.
- Once you have whisked in all of the half and half, stir in the parmesan cheese, melting it to combine. Then stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the pasta and return the shrimp to the pan. Serve with diced tomatoes and fresh parsley!
Other great dinner recipes you are sure to love!