You guys . . . . my kids need to go back to school.
Did you ever a have a friend that you loved so.much. as a kid that you spent all of your time together until you just hit a wall and you were like, “I need to not see your face anymore.”
That’s how it is with my kids . . . . . like that’s how they feel about each other right now.
They have played together shockingly well all summer, and we just hit the wall.
And friends, we hit it hard.
One of my kids just spent a solid hour in her room after screaming at her siblings because I told her she couldn’t come out until she could be a happier person. (Do you like how I am not naming names but you could totally process of elimination this one out?)
And I’m for sure going to miss them when they are back in school full time, but OMG, I need them to go back too. They need the structure, they need the activities, they need the friends and most importantly they need someone besides me yelling at them in their lives.
So these cookies are celebratory. They are, YAY! You’re Going Back To School And We Aren’t Going to Kill Each Other Cookies! They are, Hooray! Your Teacher Can Boss You Around Instead of Me Cookies! They are, Maybe At The End of A Long Day You’ll Actually Miss Each Other Cookies!
Funfetti Sugar Cookies!!
Deliciously crisp on the outside and buttery on the inside, jam packed with sprinkles and just a little bit of almond extract. I could eat these every single day.
Okay, a few things about these bad boys:
- Your butter needs to be at room temperature, which means that you need to be able to easily make a dent in it, but not push your finger all the way through. This can be achieved easily by cutting it into 1 inch pieces and leaving it out for 30 minutes.
- You don’t have to chill the dough, but it makes it easier to work with and it makes them bake a little better.
- These have almond extract in them which make them taste reminiscent of cake batter. My dad doesn’t like almond extract and really liked these – but if you are nervous about it, just leave it out and add a touch more vanilla.
- When you are measuring the flour, spoon it into the measuring cup and then level it off. If you scoop with your measuring cup you could end up with significantly more flour.
- I love this scoop to get consistent cookie dough balls.
Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 TBSPS butter 1 3/4 stick at room temperature (see note)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract if you don't like almond extract, switch this to vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 2 TBSPs nonpareils
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together the room temperature butter and the sugar. Beat for about three minutes until light and fluffy ensuring that you beat plenty of air into the butter.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla extract and the almond extract.
- Finally, slowly add the flour mixture, about 3/4 cup at a time, being careful not to over mix it.
- Gently stir in the sprinkles and nonpareils until well combined.
- Cover and chill the dough for one to two hours. Then scoop and roll the dough balls and place two inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just begin to turn golden.
You might also like
This post contains affiliate links, if you click on them and then make a purchase, I make a small amount of money at no additional cost to you. Thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.