This Healthy Turkey Chili recipe is hearty, warming, and super delicious! You will love how full of flavor it is and you will feel great about making it for your family! Serve it with some warm beer bread or just a easy side salad.
I absolutely love this recipe, but the photos needed some updating and new love. The story below is from 2013.
On the way to school yesterday, Gavin asked me for some money for his book fair.
I was about to say no, because I’m they type of mom that just immediately says no. You know, out of principle.
And then I started thinking back to when I was a kid, and the joy that came from ordering books from the Scholastic Book Club, or even better yet, picking them out in person at the book fair.
They would come all wrapped in plastic wrap and totally fresh and crisp, the bindings of the book, never cracked, the pages all pristine.
I’m still in love with a brand spanking new book as an adult. I kind of loathe traveling, especially by myself, which is in mass quantities lately, but I love that travel can be the perfect excuse for buying a new book. Because you know, the practical person just gets a book from the library, but the super practical person buys a new book for travel, because who would dare risk losing the library’s book while you are on a trip to Omaha??
Okay, so I still haven’t handed over the cash for the book fair, but just between you and me, I probably will. I’m a sucker for things like that. Especially good for you things that come in nice packages.
HEALTHY TURKEY CHILI RECIPE
Like this Healthy Turkey Chili! To me there is pretty much nothing better in the fall than a good soup, and I am a big fan of chili. I normally don’t love sour cream, but since being pregnant, I can’t seem to get enough of it! Especially stirred into chili. This is the third batch of chili I’ve made in my house in like two weeks, and I know there will be more to come!
This chili is really healthy, it is made with ground turkey, which is such a lean and low fat meat. And then I pilled on the veggies in the form of tomatos, onions, green peppers, and kidney beans. Plus it is all sauteed in just a light spraying of cooking oil. You don’t get much healthier than that!
I feel like given how healthy it is, you can just pile on the sour cream, but don’t let me stop you from putting on whatever your favorite chili toppings are!
- sour cream
- pickled jalapeños
- green onions
- white onions
- shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 1.25 pound of ground turkey I used Jennie-O
- salt and pepper
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 oz can of kidney beans drained
- 28 oz of diced tomatoes in sauce undrained
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and green pepper to the pan. Stir and sauté until the veggies are cooked through and the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the spices, salt, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and stir until combined.
- Add the kidney beans and tomatoes with their sauce, and two cups of water. Stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for thirty minute.
Looking for more delicious fall soups?