Grab a bunch of those gorgeous burgundy root vegetables and learn how to roast beets! Roasted beets are such an amazing addition to salads, a great side dish on their own, and they are so easy to prepare. Make an easy beet salad, or just toss them with some greens!
It was only in the last year or two that I actually decided to make beets a part of my life.
Sounds like a really serious commitment, doesn’t it?
We go to the Farmer’s Market a lot during the summer. It’s a really small local market, but the kids get muffins from a local bakery and then run laps around a park to burn off the sugar while I sip on local coffee and talk to my amazing husband. It’s kind of dreamy.
Well a few summers ago, I started buying beets from the Farmer’s Market without any idea of what to do with them. I even had to look up how to prepare them. I was that much of a beet virgin.
But guys, they are so easy to prepare, and I love throwing them on salads. They add such a different flavor and texture to the mix.
Should we do this?
HOW TO ROAST BEETS
When you are roasting beets, there are only a few things you need
- A good scrub brush
- A paring knife
- Tin foil
- A baking sheet
- Parchment paper to save yourself from a messy baking sheet
Start by cutting off the tops and the bottom root.
Then give them a really good scrub and wrap them up in foil.
Bake them for about an hour at 350 degrees. This, of course, varies from oven to oven and beet to beet, with bigger beets needing more time. I like to poke mine with a toothpick after an hour and get a sense of how soft they are. If it was really hard to insert the toothpick, then I give them another 10 to 15 minutes.
After they are done cooking, I let them cool to the touch. Then you can easily just peel the skin right off. It’s like magic and I’m weirdo, but there is something super satisfying about it.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH OVEN ROASTED BEETS
I have a great salad recipe that is coming later this week that I have been eating non-stop lately! It uses these roasted beets and it is so hearty and filling. But you could really throw them on any salad, or just grab some feta and basil and make this easy beet salad. It’s a total winner.
Store your beets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three or four days.
OTHER GREAT RECIPES USING ROASTED VEGETABLES
- Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Lemon Roasted Asparagus
- Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Honey Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
How to Roast Beets
- 1 bunch beets
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scrub the beets clean.
- Cut off the top greens and the bottom root. Wrap them individually in aluminum foil. Bake for one hour.
- After an hour insert with a toothpick. If you can insert it easily, they are done. If not, bake for another 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the size of the beet) until you can insert the toothpick easily.
- After cooking, allow them to cool to the touch, then gently peel off the skin and discard. Slice and use to top salads or enjoy on their own!
Other great side dishes!