Back in October, I did a review for Deborah of Taste and Tell’s amazing book, Red Velvet Lover’s Cookbook. Ummm . . . she totally got me on the red velvet bandwagon. I think before reading her cookbook (yes, reading, cookbooks are serious literature), I had only really ever had red velvet cupcakes . . . and some not so amazing ones at that. So I for sure didn’t appreciate the red velvet taste that combines buttermilk, cocoa powder, and . . . . enough red food coloring to make your house look like a crime scene.
But after reading her book, that all changed! She totally got me. It’s possible that the Red Velvet Gooey Bars had something to do with it.
Anyway! Since I’m on a mission to FROSTING ALL THE THINGS, I thought that this Red Velvet Buttercream Frosting would be the perfect next feather in my cap for this mission. I’m beyond happy with how this recipe turned out. It’s rich and creamy, and the cocoa and the buttercream make it all sorts of red velvety goodness. I was going make you some cupcakes to put this on, because it would be so pretty, but that seems a little disingenuous.
Red Velvet Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 TBSPs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsps red food coloring
- With your whisk attachment on your mixer, whisk your butter until it is creamy, scraping down as necessary.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and then the first cup of powdered sugar. Scrape down the sides, continue mixing and add the second cup of powdered sugar. Add cups three and four and scrap down again.
- Continue mixing and add the buttermilk, turning your mixer to medium high until the frosting is creamy. With the mixer stopped, add the red food coloring, and mix until it is fully combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, up to three days. Bring the frosting to room temperature before pipping or spreading.
You might also like
This post contains affiliate links, if you click on them and then make a purchase, I make a small amount of money at no additional cost to you. Thank you in advance for supporting Wine & Glue.