It’s so interesting to me how little kids can come into this world with such big . . . . baggage.
So, for example, Quinn really loves things to be clean and orderly. (Well, some things, all the toys strewn throughout the house somehow suits her just fine.) Like if she sees a piece of garbage on the floor outside, she starts yelling and wants us to pick it up. And I don’t want this to turn into a nature vs. nurture kind of discussion. I can assure you, her needing everything to be perfectly clean baffles us. 🙂
Gavin on the other hand, really does not like to get in trouble. It’s super concerning to him. Like he loses his hat at school and he’s sooooo nervous to tell me. (FYI the most severe punishment he has ever been given is a half hour time out in his room for dumping a bucket of sand over his sisters head. No lie.)
So, the other day when we were shopping for the ingredients for this meal, I had one of those ginormous carts that allows you to put two kids on a bench that is behind the card but attached to it. It makes for a pleasant shopping experience where I don’t have to chase anyone and can just listen to them yell at each other.
But it’s a huge beast. And as I was turning it, the Dad’s Root Beer that I had just put on the bottom of the cart, went flying off. Tops of the bottles shot off, and fizzy root beer went streaming everywhere.
Quinn immediately started freaking out about the mess and Gavin started freaking out that we were going to get in a huge amount of trouble with the store. Panic. I kept imagining that they thought we were going to land in grocery jail. I flagged down a nice grocery store employee and took responsibility very loudly so the kids could hear, and he told us no big deal, he would get someone to clean it up, and we should just take another four pack. The kids still wouldn’t let it go. I just love them.
Now! The Root Beer Crock Pot Pulled Chicken Sammies! I have seen this idea floating around the blogosphere, with other meats and not pulled. But I love a good pulled chicken sandwich, so that’s what we went with. It turned out GREAT. And we served it up on soft pretzel buns and alongside Mom On Timeout’s delicious KFC coleslaw. One note on this recipe: Know your slow cooker! Mine tends to cook things fast, even on low. I did six hours on low, and it was too long. Next time I will only do five.
Root Beer Crock Pot Chicken Sammies
- 8 oz root beer I used Dad's
- 1 cup BBQ sauce I used Sweet Baby Ray's original flavor
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- Whisk together the root beer (after the fizzing has stopped) and the BBQ sauce.
- Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker, making sure that some gets between the chicken and the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, pull out the whole chicken breasts and shred them on a cutting board. Then whisk the corn starch into the sauce in the crock pot. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to make sure all of it gets completely coated with the sauce.
- Serve on a nice pretzel bun.
You might also like