These S’mores Magic Cookie Bars will disappear almost as fast as you can make them, they are irresistible! Made up of absolutely amazing layers of graham cracker, sugar cookie, chocolate, marshmallows, and topped with sweetened condensed milk, there is a LOT to love about these! If you need another amazing bar recipe be sure to check out my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.
I love making magic bar variations! Actually, scratch that, I love making variations of all sorts of desserts. Like I have a million and one variations on fudge recipes and poke cakes too!. But magic bars . . . . oh yummy. I made Milky Way Magic Bars when I was very early on in my blogging career. I also have these incredible Chocolate Covered Cherry Magic Bars. And then of course, these Strawberries and Cream Magic Bars went crazy viral. Because magic bars are actually magical. But you guys. I forgot how amazing these S’mores Magic Cookie Bars were until I recently decided they needed a video and to be re-photographed.
WHAT IS THE MAGIC BAR?
Traditionally, magic cookie bars are a seven layer bars with graham crackers, chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk. I mean . . . there is for sure a reason why these dessert bars are called magical. Because of the make up of the original recipe, it’s easy to come up with a ton of variations on these bars.
I love throwing a thicker layer in the middle of my magic bar recipes. Usually a brownie or cookie layer, it gives a little something extra. In these S’mores Magic Cookie Bars, I went with a sugar cookie layer. It makes for a truly decadent amazing dessert.
Guys, a little goes a long way with these guys. You are going to want to cut them into small bites. And then if you are me, go back to the pan over and over and over again until you beg your husband to take the whole pan to work.
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE MAGIC BARS
You are basically making cookies from scratch to shove in the middle of these magic bars, so these tips might come in handy.
- Room temperature butter means that you can dent the butter easily with your finger but can’t push it all the way through. To bring your butter to room temperature fast, cut it into one inch pieces and leave it on the counter for a half hour.
- Measure your flour by scooping it into the measuring cup and then leveling off. This will prevent the flour from packing (if you scoop right from the container), and ending up with a recipe with too much flour.
- When it comes to the baking time, you are going to have to keep an eye on these guys. Oven temperatures can vary, making a big difference in how long these need. Mine baked close to 27 minutes, but from 22 minutes on, I was checking on them and waiting to get a nice golden edge around them.
S’mores Magic Bars
Graham Cracker Layer
- 9 graham cracker sheets approximately 5.4 oz worth, crushed
- 6 TBSPs of unsalted butter melted
- 2 TBSPs granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour scooped and leveled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with cooking spray well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the graham crackers, the 6 TBSPs of butter (melted) and the 2 TBSPs of sugar. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- In a different bowl, mix together 1 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp baking powder, set aside.
- Beat together 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup unsalted butter until creamy, about two minutes. Add in the egg and then the vanilla until just combined. Slowly add in the flour mixture until it is fully combined.
- Very carefully spread the cookie dough mixture on top of the graham cracker crust. The easiest way to do this is to take small amounts, flatten it in your hands, and set it on the crust. You may not be able to entirely cover the graham cracker crust, that's okay.
- Evenly spread the mini marshmallows and the chocolate chips over the top of the cookie dough. Then evenly pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top.
- Bake for 22 to 27 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. (Mine required closer to 27 minutes.)
- Let the bars cool overnight before cutting. Or just take a fork and go for it.
You might also like