These Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect, filling, healthy dinner recipe! They start with my delicious homemade taco seasoning, some lean turkey, and black beans. Top them the same way you would top your favorite tacos! If you love my brown sugar roasted sweet potatoes, you will love this healthy sweet potato dinner recipe!
Happy Monday friends!
Sooooo . . . . I have a parenting dilemma that I oddly have not dealt with once in my almost 11 years of parenting and I’m wondering if any of you out there in blog land have an answer for me.
Piper started telling us that she is afraid of the dark. 😱 We have been really lucky with sleep with our kids, but suddenly this kiddo is clingy. She tells me at night when I go to leave her room that she wants me to sleep in her bed all night and it’s not fair that Nathan gets me in his bed and she doesn’t. (😂) And last week when I was in Iowa, she went full on nightmare for Nathan. He put a nightlight in her room and she ended up moving her pillow and blanket next to it on the floor to sleep right by it.
HALP! What do we do??
Okay, while you think on that, I will make you dinner. These Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect healthy dinner recipe!
WHAT TOPPINGS DO YOU PUT ON BAKED SWEET POTATOES?
These healthy taco stuffed sweet potatoes are really just baked sweet potatoes with a great taco filling! It makes them easy to make, and absolutely delicious to eat. The key is that your rub them with olive oil, a little taco seasoning and some salt and pepper before baking!
You can really put anything you want on your taco sweet potatoes, but this is what I put on mine:
- lean ground turkey or chicken seasoned with my homemade taco seasoning
- black beans
- sour cream
HOW TO MAKE TACO STUFFED SWEET POTATOES?
- Cut your sweet potatoes in half.
- Rub them with olive oil and season them with taco seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Bake them at high heat until they are tender.
- While the sweet poatotes are cooking, cook the meat and beans.
- Open up the sweet potatoes and add the taco meat and bean filling.
- Top with all your favorite taco toppings!
And if you need all the taco recipes that aren’t actually tacos, you should make my taco stuffed peppers and my taco pasta salad! For another great taco dinner recipe, make these loaded taco tater tots!
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes washed and scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning plus 1 teaspoon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- your favorite taco toppings
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut your sweet potatoes in half. Rub them with olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Bake for 50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Smaller sweet potatoes will take less time.
- When the potatoes are almost done, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a little olive oil or cooking spray. Add the ground meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Add in the taco seasoning.
- When the meat is almost cooked through, stir in the beans to warm.
- When the potatoes are done, gently mash the center of the potatoes to separate them. Then spoon the taco filling into them. Top with all of your favorite taco toppings!
More great dinner recipes!