The BEST cream cheese frosting is smooth, creamy, and not overly sweetened. This simple cream cheese frosting is so quick to make! Throw out all your other cream cheese frosting recipes because now you have The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting recipe!
One of the very most popular recipes on my blog is my Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. I kind of love how popular it is. It gets tons of great comments all the time from people who have used it and loved it.
Guys. It makes my heart so happy when someone uses one of my recipes for a family function and they come back to tell me that everyone raved about it.
So I’m very selfishly sharing this perfect cream cheese frosting recipe with you in the hopes that it elicits more, “I made this this past weekend and wanted to just eat it with a spoon!” or “We put this on our daughter’s cake for her birthday and it is the best cream cheese frosting recipe ever!”
Anyway! I love this easy cream cheese frosting recipe! It is beautifully simple, super creamy, and good for SO MANY recipes. I love it on Red Velvet Bars, these Carrot Cake Rice Krispie Bars, and these Red Velvet Sugar Cookies. It would also be mazing on carrot cake. It is the perfect compliment. It’s not overly sweet, and it has that delicious tang from the cream cheese. I love adding two teaspoons of vanilla to mine, but try it first with just one and if you want it more vanilla-ish, then add another.
This time when I made the cream cheese frosting, it was for some incredible Zucchini Cupcakes that I made off of this Caramel Zucchini Poke Cake recipe. But you don’t even need to add the frosting to anything. It’s delicious eaten right off of a spoon!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature. This means letting it sit out at least two hours. You can speed up the process a little by cutting it up in pieces on a plate, but you really want it to be nice and soft, otherwise you will get chunks of cream cheese in the frosting. Do not soften it in the microwave.
- Make sure that the butter is also at room temperature. You can speed it up by cutting it into one inch pieces and setting it out on a plate on the counter. Do not soften it in the microwave.
- For this cream cheese frosting recipe, you want to gently pour the powdered sugar into the measuring cups. Or spoon it in and level it off. If you scoop it up with the measuring cup and pack it in, you will have significantly more powdered sugar than the recipe calls for. That might not be a bad thing, but it won’t be this recipe.
- The recipe says 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Most of the time I have used this recipe I have used 1 1/2 tsps, but I really like it at 2 teaspoons. As you are making it, add one teaspoon first, taste it and then decide if you want more.
The BEST Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese I always use Philadelphia, room temperature
- 4 TBSPs unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar not packed
- 1 to 2 tsps pure vanilla extract see note
- Cream together the cream cheese and the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Then add in the vanilla extract.
- This recipe is enough to spread on two dozen cupcakes or cookies. If you would like to pipe it as seen in the pictures, I suggest you double it.