A Whiskey Smash is a classic and easy cocktail that you will fall in love with. Combining the flavors of lemon, mint, and whiskey, this refreshing cocktail is going to become your new favorite.
Need another whiskey classic? Make this Whiskey Sour recipe!
WHAT IS A WHISKEY SMASH
This delicious and easy cocktail gets it’s name from smashing (or muddling) mint leaves together with fresh lemon and simple syrup.
Don’t you think sometimes the bests cocktails are the simplest? These few fresh simple ingredients combined with the whiskey make an ice cold refreshing beverage that you will love over and over again.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A WHISKEY SMASH?
As I mentioned, this is a simple cocktail with simple ingredients.
Start with a bourbon whiskey that you truly love. I love Knob Creek, but find something that makes your heart sing. My recommendation, always, is to visit a distillery if you can. Or find a more customized liquor store that will allow yo to do tastings so you can find a whiskey you really adore.
Next you need some mint leaves. I love growing fresh mint in the summer so I always have mint on hand for my cocktails.
We need a lemon. A key to this recipe is muddling an actual fresh lemon with the mint. This way you get the flavor from the juice as well as the rind.
This recipe gets it’s sweetness from simple syrup. I love to make my own because it is so easy, but if you don’t, find a bottle when you are picking up your whiskey.
HOW TO MAKE A WHISKEY SMASH
- Add the lemon wedges, mint leaves, and simple syrup to a mixing glass.
- Muddle them together. You can see the muddler I used in the first picture above. If you don’t have a muddler, I sometimes use the end of an ice cream scoop.
- Stir in your bourbon whiskey.
- Strain the mixture into cocktail glasses filled with ice.
OTHER GREAT WHISKEY COCKTAILS
On the prowl for even more ways to use that great whiskey? I love this great Whiskey & Wine Cocktail. It sounds strange, but it is truly one of my favorites. And this Orange Whiskey Cocktail is another great recipe.
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 lemon
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves
- In a mixing glass, combine the lemon, simple syrup, and mint leaves.
- Muddle together.
- Add Bourbon
- Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice and garnish with mint leaves.