Like mint juleps? Then you’ll positively love this Whiskey Smash recipe. The refreshing citrus and mint combination will make even a non-whiskey drinker a devoted fan.
This recipe first appeared on Real Housemoms where I am a contributor.
The Whiskey Smash gets its name from the muddling (or smashing) of sour lemon with fresh mint and simple syrup. These unlikely ingredients together create a uniquely thirst-quenching cocktail you’ll want to serve up all summer long. Need more hot-weather drink ideas? Try this Desert Wasteland Whiskey Cocktail or this Bourbon Cherry Smash.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE A WHISKEY SMASH?
- For this delectable cocktail you first need good quality bourbon whiskey. It makes all the difference, really! This Orange Whiskey Cocktail and this Manhattan Drink Recipe are also amazing whiskey drinks.
- Next, gather up some fragrant mint leaves, some for muddling and a few for garnish.
- Use ripe lemons for the best juice.
- Mix up a batch of my Simple Syrup (you can use the leftovers in many other cocktails!)
- You’ll need a muddler (or the end of a wooden spoon does the job nicely)
HOW TO MAKE A WHISKEY SMASH:
- In a mixing glass, combine lemon, sugary simple syrup and mint leaves.
- Muddle together or smash with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add your good quality bourbon whiskey and crushed ice, and give it a good shake.
- Strain into a cocktail glass over crushed ice, and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Cheers to a delicious and invigorating cocktail that’s sure to be a hit!
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 1/4 lemon
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves
- In a mixing glass, combine the lemon, simple syrup, and mint leaves.
- Muddle together.
- Add Bourbon and shake with ice.
- Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice and garnish with mint leaves.